Govt has to tell you what hook to use - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Govt has to tell you what hook to use

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Solo View Post
    Last I checked, recreational fishing was in long-term decline in terms of the number of people participating(despite population increase). If fish stocks are threatened despite that, either the remaining fishermen are really good, or...
    Drum Solo I'd like to know who wrote the report that says the number of people participating in Recreational fishing were decline, I want to carry that person Trout fishing on the Pamlico so he can see where his decline went to! Over the past 10 years the number of people fishing in my home area sure has not declined and in fact has probably close to doubled. 15 to 20 years ago I could fish during the week and maybe see half a dozen other boats, now the ramps are packed full with 30 to 50 trucks & trailers, there are boats everywhere Monday thru Friday and God only knows what it looks like on the weekends... I'm guessing it must be the same guy that said the Flounder were in decline in the Pamlico Sound, because he was wrong about that too!

As for the Circle hook rule, I too feel it's regulation over reach.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hyperstriper View Post
    Drum Solo I'd like to know who wrote the report that says the number of people participating in Recreational fishing were decline, I want to carry that person Trout fishing on the Pamlico so he can see where his decline went to!
    I linked to it in my post. So far no one has had anything to say other than "there are a lot of boats out on the river when I go fishing". A pretty obvious possible explanation for that(especially weekday fishing) when it comes to the Pamlico would be Baby Boomers retiring and moving to retirement communities, etc. etc. This would increase the number of people fishing on the Pamlico without increasing overall numbers of people fishing. And this is why anecdote is not the singular form of "data".

I'll be the first to admit that one metric taken from one source isn't the end-all, be-all, and you would be right to not trust survey data 100%, but that's why I also linked in the bit about fewer fishing licenses being sold. I find it pretty hard to believe that DMF can't keep an accurate count of how many licenses it sells every year, and # of licenses sold seems like a pretty good substitute for # of people fishing to me, unless you believe that there are hoards of poachers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by ppowell View Post
    Let's see, either they're trying to exert control over the population by regulating hooks or their trying to protect the resource. Which option do you think is more likely?
    Something in between the two options. I have spent most of my career in government and/or dealing directly with state government regulatory agencies, and it is very common for regulatory/policy staff to a) be very much in earnest about the mission of the agency they work for, and b) to take well-intended actions that have unintended consequences.

I don't agree with all of it, but most of the pushback I've seen on this thread has been very reasonable. Mack in NC's post a little ways up the thread is an excellent demonstration of what I'm talking about re: unintended consequences. Regulating tackle is inherently complex and Mack made some good points that I had not considered. I'm not saying that is a reason to not mandate circle hooks for shark fishing, just an illustration of how easy it is to mess these kinds of regulations up.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123