Govt has to tell you what hook to use
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Govt has to tell you what hook to use

Default Govt has to tell you what hook to use

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Already use circle hooks, don't see a problem..... ICM
    crabman00, hellomcfly2, and Jelliefish like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

They work good for drum and blues. How about other usually smaller fish?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Didnt see the larger than 2/0. That makes me less concerned now. Still though..

More government regulations always make things better.

What's the issue with using a type of hooks which will improve the sustainability of the ecosystem? Is it the end of the world that you have to crush your barbs or use circle hooks?
    crabman00 likes this.

Disabled & Stuck On The Bank, Where No Fish Live

The issue in my book is the government TELLING me I have to use a certain type of hook. Recommend, okay, Advise, okay, but requiring is not okay in my book.

Just more government over reach.

The first myth of management is that it exists!!
    Jim

I’m a big fan of both circle hooks and barbless hooks. I fished barbless for years but have somehow gotten away from it. I have lost some fish with barbless hooks but I release 99.9% of my catch so if a fish gets away so be it.
    ~JOE~
    biglenr, crabman00, and hellomcfly2 like this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

If you want to use circle hooks use circle hooks. J hooks have their place with certain species. Offshore, rigging ballyhoo with j hooks is much more effective than using circle hooks. It is ridiculous for the mfc to put a blanket rule in place for hooks.

If a fisherman notices he is constantly gut hooking fish, he will most likely change his hook selection anyway.

Why is the MFC discussing hook types when bottom trawling is still allowed? Red herring.
    Drum Solo, and mindcrime like this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Quote Originally Posted by crappie89 View Post
    Why is the MFC discussing hook types when bottom trawling is still allowed? Red herring.
    Last I checked, recreational fishing was in long-term decline in terms of the number of people participating(despite population increase). If fish stocks are threatened despite that, either the remaining fishermen are really good, or...

Quote Originally Posted by bertboy90 View Post
    Didnt see the larger than 2/0. That makes me less concerned now. Still though..
    That seems worse to me. The article says that you have to use a hook larger than 2/0 if you are using "natural bait". That reads to me like if I'm fishing for spot with bits of shrimp, I'd have to use a 3/0 hook, which is crazy. Especially since that would allow me to use a j-hook or a smaller circle hook if I used Fishbites. I reckon that's got to be wrong, but I'm not sure what other inference to take.
    crappie89 likes this.

Angler Member
    Kayak Angler

Think about it...

Teach a man to fish and he'll give away all your good spots.

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    Think about it...
    I did, but I might not be the smartest...

There are other news stories that say that the circle hook thing is just for shark fishing. Minutes from the meeting aren't online but the packets are, and the presentation on circle hooks didn't focus specifically on sharks and appears to have been dealing with all recreational fishing.

Here is the link to the new rule. https://deq.nc.gov/es/news/press-rel...hing-beginning

The way I read it, it only applies to shark fishing with natural bait. Like ICM said; what's the big deal?

My concern is "give them an inch and they will take a mile".

I fly fish and have been smashing my barbs down for 30 years so this will not affect me.

Next they will say you must use 50lb test line so you can land them quicker and not stress the fish. One could say that is ridiculous. Before long you have fishing regs thick as a phone book and you have to stay up all night figuring out what is legal or hire a lawyer. Never doubt governments ability to do stupid crap. Heck, I remember in the 80s when the Pentagon was paying 250 for toilet seats and 50 for an ordinary screw driver (might have been a hammer, long time ago).

To the guys who disagree, I respect your opinion. No heat from me. You do make a good point. I just don't trust them.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast