NC Angler Forums banner

Federal Point - The Rocks

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Andy King 
#1 ·
I have fished the basin with a kayak but didn't get much further than the basin itself. Now I want to fish it from my jon boat. I have a Lowe Roughneck 1652. I would like to fish down below No Name Island and at the breaks in the rocks.

I need some local knowledge on the area to avoid hazzards and getting stuck/ lost. Any information or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you

#4 ·
If you go that route you will have to go past the rock wall and in a creek and back up to get into the basin. Best bet is put in the ramp in the basin and go from there. Lots of other boats put in there. Just follow others, have your GPS on tack mode.... so you can find your way back thru the channel and not rocks or sandbars.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Scott - you inspired me to download Navonics to my cell. I don't have a gps on my boat, just a depth gauge. Navonics is a very cool app. Opens up alot of options including tracking my history as you suggested. I just hope it doesn't drain my cell battery. I'll experiment with it.

#7 ·
I fish that area quite a bit and it is a great fishery. I would actually recommend going at low tide and perhaps not even taking any rods. Low tide will show you the dangers. Take your time. Study Google earth. At high tide proceed with extreme caution. I have witnessed a few boats hit the rocks at high tide. Sounds expensive every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.