Why the Kayak

Thread: Why the Kayak

Default Why the Kayak

Got into Kayak fishing back in 2010 and this is why. Live in western NC now which is made for Kayak fishing.
    1. Catch ratio definitely increases just because the lack of noise. So many more strikes right next to the kayak also.
    2. Competition in the market has kept prices down.
    3. Easily being able to reverse via peddle or motor keeps you from ruining a good spot by being pulled into it by a 2lb fish.
    4. Not having to use boat ramps.
    5. Some really great electric motor combos just released or coming out soon.
    6. The stability makes standing and fishing easy.

I picked up one of these balance boards. It really helps with the standing on the kayak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	board.jpg‎
Views:	76
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	197831
    srsykes likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with mostly everything you mentioned EXCEPT
    I prefer paddling for a couple of reasons
    1. The motors and peddles can limit the depth of the water accessible due to the draft.
    2. If you're going to get a kayak with peddles or a motor, you may as well get a johnboat. I personally prefer to paddle
    3. I havent found a comfortable pedal style boat

Pedal, paddle, john boat. Yes to all three. I pedal my Hobie till it scrapes bottom which is about 3 inches maybe 4. Not sure how much shallower you’re going to get without getting out even in a paddle only yak. The Hobie can easily be paddled. Pull out the drive or leave it at home and you can paddle to your hearts content. Would I like a john boat ,answer is yes but I would also want a skiff and a bass boat too.

Other advantages of the yak or canoe is virtually zero maintenance because I am the motor. I throw my yak right in my van so no trailer and I like the exercise I get while I’m fishing. Also with the Hobie I generally never have to use my paddle at all. I can fish all day hands free regardless of wind velocity or direction.
    ~JOE~
    srsykes likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is just something that feels different when you hook into a fish on a kayak that you don't get on a boat
    srsykes likes this.

I kayak fish because of a story from years ago.

My late Dad and I had a charter on the Indian River (FL) for the opening of snook season. I caught at 25 lb snook, took me almost 30 minutes to get it in the boad. Got beat for the record by a 12-year-old old girl who landed one 25 lb 4 oz.

We asked the guide what he did on his days off. He said "I take my flyrod on my kayak. I hook a tarpon and let it pull me up and down the river 'til it gets tired. I unhook it and ask myself if I've had enough fun yet. If not, I hook another one."

Since I got my first 'yak about 12 years ago, that's my dream - to hook something that will pull me around for a while!

Steve

I remember the first time I caught a big red 31" on a large flat. Fish was pretty calm until he saw the yak. Then it was heading the opposite direction in an angry manner. I got spun around several times in the 10 minutes it took to land him. The heart rate was definitely up during the fight. So yes, the pursuit of a fish that will move you in circles and across the bays is the game we play.

Jeff
    Jeff C - Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
    Usually fishing Topsail

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
    Since I got my first 'yak about 12 years ago, that's my dream - to hook something that will pull me around for a while!

Steve
    I have heard people talk about fishing the upper part of Goose Creek in late July/August for big drum for just that reason. I keep toying with the idea of trying kayaking out so I could try something like that.

A lit if Yakers go out of Dawson Creek or Oriental chasing bull reds with good success.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

The main thing that keeps stopping me is not knowing how to get started safely. I live in Greenville and there's a city park here that I fish at that was building a kayak launch(with rental kayaks) over the winter and I was going to test the waters by paddling around the pond there this spring/summer but COVID tossed all that out the window. The park office is still shut down and there are no kayak rentals. I'm not even sure how much progress they made toward completion before COVID shut everything down.

There's an outfitter here in town that does rentals for excursions on the Tar River, but I really don't feel comfortable going out on a river by myself for my first outing.

You are welcome to try one of my yaks to see if you are a good fit for yakking.

Im in Youngsville.
    ~JOE~
    fodder likes this.

Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements