NC Angler Forums banner

Braid Aid

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Drum Solo 
#1 ·
I started messing with braided line on a couple of my setups last year. It's totally new to me, I basically quit fishing in the late 90s/early 00s and only started back a few years ago. I only ever fished mono back then.

Besides having to learn a new knot that's a PITA to tie, the big problem I have been having is losing fish. I've managed to land maybe 1-2 fish using braid. They tend to throw the hook when I get them close, I guess because it doesn't stretch like mono and so it's harder to keep tension on the line when they shake their head/etc. I mostly surf fish, but have had the same issue with catfish at my local city lake as well.

Wondering how people avoid this/what I'm doing wrong.

#3 ·
Yes, usually fluoro. From the surf I typically use a short leader, otherwise the rig helicopters, so maybe not enough to make much of a difference. One of the fish that I have managed to land on braid was a puffer fish that hit a Mirrolure, of all things. I had a longer leader on that than I would put on a bait rig that my son wants to blast out past the bar.

#4 ·
Maybe your drags are to tight. I use FC leaders of different sizes from 10# to 80# to match what I'm fishing for.
Uni to Uni knot is easier to learn than the FG knot, use then both for different applications.......ICM

#8 ·
I switched from a fluoro leader to a mono leader and made it slightly longer, as well as setting my drag more loose than I normally do, and that has increased my success dramatically, at least with the catfish at the lake.

I haven't been to the beach because of COVID but will probably still mostly use mono for that. I don't really mind missing a catfish or whatever at the lake, but with saltwater fish I mind more. But I am the kind of person that likes having something to mess with, so not planning to completely give up on it.

#9 ·
Maybe it's your hook setting action.
Here's what I mean; action up towards your face, you're pulling bait / lure out of fish's mouth.
Try a parallel / sideways to the stick the hook in it's mouth.
If using circle hooks just reel.....
Hope this helps .........ICM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.