Braid Aid

Thread: Braid Aid

Default Braid Aid

I started messing with braided line on a couple of my setups last year. It's totally new to me, I basically quit fishing in the late 90s/early 00s and only started back a few years ago. I only ever fished mono back then.

Besides having to learn a new knot that's a PITA to tie, the big problem I have been having is losing fish. I've managed to land maybe 1-2 fish using braid. They tend to throw the hook when I get them close, I guess because it doesn't stretch like mono and so it's harder to keep tension on the line when they shake their head/etc. I mostly surf fish, but have had the same issue with catfish at my local city lake as well.

Wondering how people avoid this/what I'm doing wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you using a fluoro/mono leader? Gives you some stretch, less visible and really helps when you get hung up and need to break off.

Yes, usually fluoro. From the surf I typically use a short leader, otherwise the rig helicopters, so maybe not enough to make much of a difference. One of the fish that I have managed to land on braid was a puffer fish that hit a Mirrolure, of all things. I had a longer leader on that than I would put on a bait rig that my son wants to blast out past the bar.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maybe your drags are to tight. I use FC leaders of different sizes from 10# to 80# to match what I'm fishing for.
    Uni to Uni knot is easier to learn than the FG knot, use then both for different applications.......ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Blog Entries

Your drag is either too tight or the action of your rod does not fit the target species and/or technique. I fish braid on 99.9 percent of my setups and rarely lose a hooked fish.

Thanks, I'll try setting the drag looser. I don't think it's the rod because I'm using setups that I've been successful with before, using mono. The line is the only thing that's changed.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements