Braid Aid

Thread: Braid Aid

Default Braid Aid

I started messing with braided line on a couple of my setups last year. It's totally new to me, I basically quit fishing in the late 90s/early 00s and only started back a few years ago. I only ever fished mono back then.

Besides having to learn a new knot that's a PITA to tie, the big problem I have been having is losing fish. I've managed to land maybe 1-2 fish using braid. They tend to throw the hook when I get them close, I guess because it doesn't stretch like mono and so it's harder to keep tension on the line when they shake their head/etc. I mostly surf fish, but have had the same issue with catfish at my local city lake as well.

Wondering how people avoid this/what I'm doing wrong.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you using a fluoro/mono leader? Gives you some stretch, less visible and really helps when you get hung up and need to break off.

Yes, usually fluoro. From the surf I typically use a short leader, otherwise the rig helicopters, so maybe not enough to make much of a difference. One of the fish that I have managed to land on braid was a puffer fish that hit a Mirrolure, of all things. I had a longer leader on that than I would put on a bait rig that my son wants to blast out past the bar.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Maybe your drags are to tight. I use FC leaders of different sizes from 10# to 80# to match what I'm fishing for.
    Uni to Uni knot is easier to learn than the FG knot, use then both for different applications.......ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Blog Entries

Your drag is either too tight or the action of your rod does not fit the target species and/or technique. I fish braid on 99.9 percent of my setups and rarely lose a hooked fish.

Thanks, I'll try setting the drag looser. I don't think it's the rod because I'm using setups that I've been successful with before, using mono. The line is the only thing that's changed.

Mono keeps the fish on. Braid helps you feel bites. Id switch back to mono line. Id rather catch one than feel every nibble

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements