NC Angler Forums banner

Fishing Shearon Harris?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Wbradfletcher 
#1 ·
Hey all. My fishing buddy and I have not been out to Shearon Harris since the lockdown since we have been able to fish Sunset Lake in Holly Springs to scratch our itch. We are wondering what the ramp situation is like at Hollemon. We can fish weekdays, so wonder how the crowds have been. And, oh yeah, anyone catching any fish? We've done pretty good on Sunset, but fishing private lakes that get little pressure is quite different than fishing Harris. Hope you all are well.

#3 ·
Tried to fish SH about a month ago on a Sunday and wished I hadn't gone there....every crazy person with a ski boat or waverunner was either on the lake, getting off the lake, or getting on the lake. No parking at all, and no trailer parking skills at all, either. It would have been a good day to have a lawn chair and a cooler, just to sit by the docks and watch the shenanigans of the inexperienced crowd, especially when everyone else was in a hurry and the horns started honking. Amazing what panic can do to a normal person in a crowd. Gave up weekends and made it during middle of the week a few days ago. Launched easily, left the dock and ran north as far as I could to get off the main channel; beautiful water but no fish. Ran to the east end past the bridge and found one bass, no size to him but it broke the skunk. Ran back towards the west end launch, turned left to go up the southern arm. Caught a couple of pounders, then stuck a very nice bass which fought me for a couple of minutes before tangling me on the prop during a pass by the net. Lost him/her, but he/she will live in my memory for a long time. Used crank baits shallow from 4-10' depth, one suspending lure with double props. Most fish on broken-back action; the large one was on a small spinnerbait with a Roadrunner bottom spinner clipped under it, with bright orange trailer.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. We are going to Hollemon's on Tuesday to see how it looks and then will fish Thursday if all pans out. I appreciate your report as well. We haven't been out on a main lake since March, but have fished Sunset Lake in Holly Springs during the lockdown. We've done well--of course, it is a private lake--with soft plastics and spinner baits. Will post a report if we do get out next Thursday.

#5 ·
Boat ramp is fine during the week, I'd avoid it on the weekend it's way too crowded. You fishing from a boat? Fish are biting offshore in 10-20 feet of water, depending on where the thermocline is.

#6 ·
We are fishing from a boat. Drove to Hollemon's yesterday around 1:00 p.m. Might have been 20 trailers in the lot. Talked to one guy who was leaving and he told us that the ramp is fine during the week. Gets a little busier after lunch. Avoid weekends. Thanks for the tip on finding the fish. We'll be out early tomorrow if the T-storms don't stop us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.