Wilmington Fishing

Thread: Wilmington Fishing

Default Wilmington Fishing

Ok guys I need a little help. My son has moved to Wilmington and wants me to carry my boat down to do some fishing, but I've never been fishing in Wilmington. Need to know places to put in and area's to fish in, not asking for your fishing honey holes or spot's to fish, just area's. Thanks guys!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wrightsville beach-heavy traffic
    Carolina Beach-can be heavy in season
    Carolina Beach State Park-less heavy due to a small fee (last time I used it $4, Im sure its gone up)
    Downtown-Cape Fear River
    Castle Hayne-NE Cape Fear River

Wildlife Commision has a map for more of the smaller public access. All except the State park above are free public access BTW.

Tight lines!

What kind of boat & what are you targeting? What's your level of fishing experience?

Spanish / Blues outside every inlet, been casting Big Nic jigs at busting fish.
    It's a fun way to catch them...... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have an 18ft Carolina Skiff. I usually fish the Rose Bay, Swanquarter... the Pamlico so I'm looking for Trout, Puppy Drum, Flounder. Heading down to fish Morehead Friday and Saturday.
    Looking at Google Maps and putting in at Wrightsville Beach ramp, would it be better to go north or south??

You might have picked the worst weekend to be on the water. July 4, chaotic, crazy & crowded
    Good luck finding a spot at the ramp. Remember parking on the grass will earn you a parking fine...... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

You better get to that ramp by 0500 and have lots of patience!!!!

Yeah, I'm trying to think of a ramp in this area that won't be slammed up by 5:30 am. You might try the Ramp in Varnamtown down in Brunswick County. The Lockwood Folly River has tons of fish and lots of wonderful fishing spots and you may even be able to find a place to park you trailer. Let me know if you need more information. Wrightsville Beach, Southport, Wildlife Ramp on Fish Factory Road in Oak Island the 55th Street Ramp in Oak Island, the Blue Water Point ramps in Oak island, the Wildlife Ramp at Sunset Harbor should be jammed. You can always try the Wildlife Ramp at Rice's Creek (connects to Town Creek- all freshwater) in Winnabow- Take Governors' Road of US 17 in Winnabow to Gordon Lewis Road- the ramp is at the end of Gordon Lewis Road. Very fish area and depending upon how folks park their rigs, there may be some space. Go left from the ramp out toward Town Creek. Lots of fishy-looking water- deep except up close to shore- and it is all fresh water until you get down near the Cape Fear River. my guess is head to Varnamtown and go up or down the river of trout, flounders (can't keep any yet) and some red drum. I keep my boats on their lifts over holiday weekends- too many drunks on the water.
    Whitefish 115

Put in at dram tree park in wilmington and head down river for about 15 or 20 minutes. Start fishing the various spoil islands. Look for the edges with deeper water and a bit of current pushing along them. By deeper I mean, about 3'. Bounce gulp on 1/4 or 1/8 oz jigs. If it doesnt hit the bank, you'll miss the fish. Theres a ton of fishy looking water and you'll have to grind to find the bites but they are there. Fish the docks in he area too. Caught a 25" flounder in this area a few a days ago. You'll find gar, striper, and puppy drum as well. Dram Tree will be busy but not nearly as busy as wrightsville which is wknd monster not worth messing with IMO.

^ I agree with that.
    And I'll add.....pay the $7 and use the ramp at Carolina Beach State Park. Be there waiting to pay at 8am, it won't be as crowded. You'll have to wait your turn coming back in though because there's only 2 ramps in a small space and people are sloooooowwwwwww and they also don't look to see who's behind/beside them, etc.
    AHHHH-Spray, and Hogprint like this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements