NC Angler Forums banner

Red X M&G Cape Lookout Nov. 12 - 16 2020

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  GreyGhost 
#1 ·
New Dates !!! Red X M&G Cape Lookout Nov. 19-24 2020

Due to the rainy forecast for this week we decided to postpone the trip for a week now starting the Nov. 19th.

2020 Red X Anglers Inaugural Cape Lookout Meet & Greet

Where: We’ll set up camp somewhere not too far from the Great Islands cabin area
When: November 19-24 2020
What: Beach camping, surf fishing, kayak fishing

General park rules and guidelines can be found here > https://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Some tips and comments
1. This is remote camping. There are no stores on the island so you will need to bring EVERYTHING you need for the time you plan to stay. This includes water, ice, food, beer, etc. In a pinch the Davis Ferry will shuttle stuff out for you if you forget something or run out of something but you’ll pay for it. Think ahead and make a list.
2. The Great Islands cabin area does have fresh water and showers available. I think they may have ice too but that needs to be confirmed.
3. You will need to reserve a spot on the ferry that runs from Davis to the island landing. You can see their schedule and make reservations here > https://cape-lookout-cabins-camps-ferry-davis-nc.com/ They also rent 4x4 side by side ORV’s if you have a need. I would suggest making reservations early since Nov. is a busy surf fishing month.
4. It is often quite windy along the coast so plan accordingly. Longer tent stakes or the wider sand stakes, some bags or buckets that can be filled with sand to hold down tents and canopies, rain suit / outer wind shell. A few short 2x4s and some para cord can also be buried and used as deadman anchors.
5. Tackle/Bait:
a. You generally don’t need giant surf casting rods. While longer rods certainly help pitch your baits further, most fish are caught within 50 to 100 ft of shore.
b. Frozen or fresh shrimp, sand fleas, fresh or frozen cut bait of various types, Gulp, Fish-Bites, squid, and casting spoons all catch fish. Bring a cutting board or one of those roll-up cutting sheets and a knife or scissors for cutting bait.
c. You don’t need a ton of tackle. Fish-finder rigs and two-up rigs with #2 - #4 hooks and 1 – 3 oz pyramid or sputnik sinkers work well for all kinds of different fish.
d. Match the rods you plan to use to the lead you will be slinging so you don’t snap a rod.
e. 7ft rods and up with a 3500 to 5000 size reel with 20 lb. braid are typical surf set-ups.
f. Bring the normal fishing tools of the trade…pliers, knife, de-hooker, fish grip, towel, etc.
g. Sand spike rod holders can be made on the cheap from PVC pipe. Look on YouTube.
h. It helps to have a small backpack or fanny pack to carry your stuff in if you tend to wander down the beach.
i. A cutting board and knife for cleaning fish.
6. Waders or tall muck boots help keep you dry when you are fishing the beach but aren’t required.
7. There is about 20 miles of shoreline to fish from Cape Lookout to Drum inlet so there is plenty of area to explore.
8. There is an area a mile or so south of the Great Islands cabins that has access to the inshore side of the island where you could drop a kayak in. There is a turnaround near the “landing” but the landing is fairly primitive. We’ll probably set up camp very near this spot.
9. You do need to have a 4WD vehicle to traverse the island roads and beaches.
a. On the ferry ride over air down your tires to about 20 lbs. Bring a tire pressure gauge.
b. Carry some “just-in-case” stuff in your vehicle. Shovel and a strip or two of carpet at a minimum. Even better add a tow strap and clevis, and MaxTrax boards and know where your hook-up points are on your vehicle.
c. If you have mud-flaps on your vehicle you might want to take them off before the trip.
d. 12V portable air compressor makes it easy to air back up but they have air at the Davis landing as well.
e. A first aid kit is always a good thing to have in your vehicle.
f. Driving in the sand is kind of like driving in snow. Keep your momentum up and change speeds gradually. If you get stuck just call one of us to come pull you out
10. Depending on your carrier, cell service can be spotty but is much better than it used to be. If you have a handheld VHF radio bring it along.

This M&G is also posted on Red X page on Hatebook. I'll try to keep both updated as things progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
2020 Red X Anglers Inaugural Cape Lookout Meet & Greet

Where: We’ll set up camp somewhere not too far from the Great Islands cabin area
When: November 12 – 16 2020
What: Beach camping, surf fishing, kayak fishing

General park rules and guidelines can be found here > https://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Some tips and comments
1. This is remote camping. There are no stores on the island so you will need to bring EVERYTHING you need for the time you plan to stay. This includes water, ice, food, beer, etc. In a pinch the Davis Ferry will shuttle stuff out for you if you forget something or run out of something but you’ll pay for it. Think ahead and make a list.
2. The Great Islands cabin area does have fresh water and showers available. I think they may have ice too but that needs to be confirmed.
3. You will need to reserve a spot on the ferry that runs from Davis to the island landing. You can see their schedule and make reservations here > https://cape-lookout-cabins-camps-ferry-davis-nc.com/ They also rent 4x4 side by side ORV’s if you have a need. I would suggest making reservations early since Nov. is a busy surf fishing month.
4. It is often quite windy along the coast so plan accordingly. Longer tent stakes or the wider sand stakes, some bags or buckets that can be filled with sand to hold down tents and canopies, rain suit / outer wind shell. A few short 2x4s and some para cord can also be buried and used as deadman anchors.
5. Tackle/Bait:
a. You generally don’t need giant surf casting rods. While longer rods certainly help pitch your baits further, most fish are caught within 50 to 100 ft of shore.
b. Frozen or fresh shrimp, sand fleas, fresh or frozen cut bait of various types, Gulp, Fish-Bites, squid, and casting spoons all catch fish. Bring a cutting board or one of those roll-up cutting sheets and a knife or scissors for cutting bait.
c. You don’t need a ton of tackle. Fish-finder rigs and two-up rigs with #2 - #4 hooks and 1 – 3 oz pyramid or sputnik sinkers work well for all kinds of different fish.
d. Match the rods you plan to use to the lead you will be slinging so you don’t snap a rod.
e. 7ft rods and up with a 3500 to 5000 size reel with 20 lb. braid are typical surf set-ups.
f. Bring the normal fishing tools of the trade…pliers, knife, de-hooker, fish grip, towel, etc.
g. Sand spike rod holders can be made on the cheap from PVC pipe. Look on YouTube.
h. It helps to have a small backpack or fanny pack to carry your stuff in if you tend to wander down the beach.
i. A cutting board and knife for cleaning fish.
6. Waders or tall muck boots help keep you dry when you are fishing the beach but aren’t required.
7. There is about 20 miles of shoreline to fish from Cape Lookout to Drum inlet so there is plenty of area to explore.
8. There is an area a mile or so south of the Great Islands cabins that has access to the inshore side of the island where you could drop a kayak in. There is a turnaround near the “landing” but the landing is fairly primitive. We’ll probably set up camp very near this spot.
9. You do need to have a 4WD vehicle to traverse the island roads and beaches.
a. On the ferry ride over air down your tires to about 20 lbs. Bring a tire pressure gauge.
b. Carry some “just-in-case” stuff in your vehicle. Shovel and a strip or two of carpet at a minimum. Even better add a tow strap and clevis, and MaxTrax boards and know where your hook-up points are on your vehicle.
c. If you have mud-flaps on your vehicle you might want to take them off before the trip.
d. 12V portable air compressor makes it easy to air back up but they have air at the Davis landing as well.
e. A first aid kit is always a good thing to have in your vehicle.
f. Driving in the sand is kind of like driving in snow. Keep your momentum up and change speeds gradually. If you get stuck just call one of us to come pull you out
10. Depending on your carrier, cell service can be spotty but is much better than it used to be. If you have a handheld VHF radio bring it along.

This M&G is also posted on Red X page on Hatebook. I'll try to keep both updated as things progress.
Thanks Bruce.

I can confirm they have ice at the cabin area. $4 a bag. Also there is an old dock on the bay side on the north end of the cabins where a kayak can be launched easily. It's also a good place to cast net bait.

Those driving should have a toe strap, shovel, board or piece of rug to get out if stuck.

At&T gets good reception out there. If your significant other has a habit of calling you every 20 minutes I suggest conveniently forgetting your phone or tell her you don't think there's a signal out there.

A thermacell and lots of bug juice is suggested for the tent area. They are not bad on the beach but anywhere else they can be brutal, especially at night.

Surf fishing at night out in front of your tent can be productive and beautiful. Lob a chunk of mullet out there, put the rod in a SECURE spike (a rubber mallet is handy to bang it in with), sit in the chair and watch the milky way and a million stars. Have a head lamp and extra batteries and maybe a lantern.

Vehicle owners will need an ORV sticker. You can get one ahead of time or upon arrival at the cabin office.

https://www.nps.gov/calo/index.htm

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Bruce...thanks for putting together this first ever Cape Lookout event...especially this year when other events have gone bust. While I cannot commit at this point, I have circled these dates on my calendar and will make every effort to participate! Cape LO is top 5 on my favorite places list.

Chris

#14 ·
Well hopefully the boogaloo wagon won't get you banned from the island like what happened at BR :D I am really looking forward to this shindig! And if you need any chicken larvae I'll have plenty to share.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.