Lake Blue Catfish Help - Kerr Lake at Nutbush Creek

Thread: Blue Catfish Help - Kerr Lake at Nutbush Creek

Default Blue Catfish Help - Kerr Lake at Nutbush Creek

I went out of Nutbush Creek last Saturday (crowded but not too bad) targeting large blue cats. Fished points with steep drops using fresh cut threadfin shad on Carolina rigs. I was not drifting, too many boats on the water.

The bite was great, except no blues, just channel and mud cats. Several of the channels were good size but I really want to find blues and hopefully larger ones like +30 lbs, my previous best. I lived in Va for 10 years and caught blues frequently. But what worked for me there isnít working here.

Any suggestions on bait (live/ cut), type of structure, presentation would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Tune in to “kayak catfish” on YouTube. That guy catches a ton of blues and his channel is loaded with tips.
    ~JOE~
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks Joe - I'll check it out.

I know Kerr holds a lot of big blues but man, that is one big body of water. Nutbush may not be the best spot, but it's a lot closer to Raleigh.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have fished Kerr with Rascalsdad. We have used Longwood, Oconeeche, Bluestone and one other ramp cant remember which one though. Caught blues from all those places but no giants.
    ~JOE~
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Thanks Joe, I've heard positive stories about Bluestone. That will be my next Blue Cat journey. I know it sounds a little ambitious but my goal is a 50 pound Blue.

Catfish are still in spawning mode, so the bite has been a little light. Things should pick back up in the next 1-2 weeks. The world record blue was caught out of Kerr, so there are plenty of 50+ pounders to be caught; just need to find them, with some luck and the right bait.

Personally, I have the best luck drifting/trolling for blues at about .7 mph, but it can be tough with a lot of pleasure boaters in your face. I've found that Sundays tend to be a little less crazy. Get on the water as early as possible, so even if the lake gets crowded at noon, you got a good day of fishing in, beforehand.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements