Nags Head surf fishing July 4th weekend

Thread: Nags Head surf fishing July 4th weekend

Default Nags Head surf fishing July 4th weekend

Had a tough time getting into fish, how did everyone else do for their fourth weekend? Still trying to figure out the surf fishing NC thing was using bottom rigs with shrimp and bloodworm fishbites but I feel like the leaders on the pre tied rigs are too big and the fish are seeing it.

Also put a few clips from the outer banks in this video and shared some Florida fishing adventures so check it out if you want!
    https://youtu.be/NpsqRVaToms
    JM76 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Most pre-tied rigs just don't work at all, IMO. I tried them when starting out. Sometimes you can find good pre-tied ones with minimal metal/etc. but they are usually $$$.

Was in Kill Devil Hills all week, surf fished almost every day. Was pretty slow, only caught a few each day but man was it fun sitting on the beach. My son who is 19 fished a lot more, and caught two nice puppy drums at once which was pretty cool. Son went to Jenette's pier early and fishing was good on the pier, caught some blues and sheepheads. Caught a spot, gave it to a guy who caught a mackeral, so he gets the assist on that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20200707_092935.jpg‎
Views:	278
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	197889
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I found sort of a solution to this - caught about a half-dozen small pinfish and sea mullet on Monday.

I use pre-tied snelled hooks on leaders, but threaded them though the metal rig so there was about 2" of monofilament leader extending beyond the metal part. Also used a heavier sinker than really needed for surf conditions - 4 oz - so I could keep enough tension on the line to feel the bite of even the little bait-snatchers.

For bait, I just used some frozen bait shrimp.

When there are bigger fish around, I'll see this works for them!

Steve
    Drum Solo likes this.

There are definitely things that will hit those pre-made double drop rigs; pinfish will hit just about anything if they're around. The nurse sharks that are around at Ft. Macon in the early spring will hit them pretty good, too. I just found that I really quickly got to the point where it was quicker and cheaper to tie my own than to go to Walmart/tackle shop to get those pre-made rigs. And that was after years and years of not fishing and not tying any fishing knots. I still suck at knots, but a bottom rig is really easy to tie with some practice.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements