Sorry in advance for the questions. Please help!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sorry in advance for the questions. Please help!!

Disregard my last post. The cheapest place I could find was the Islander Motel on Nags Head. I booked it and paid the deposit. Still planning on driving down to Hatteras everyday to fish!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a 70 mile, 90 minute plus trip each way.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Nags Head to Cape Point Campground is 51 miles on Google Maps, not saying that its accurate but the lady at the motel said it was about an hour each way since traffic has thinned out. Any suggestions for south of Oregon Inlet on the northern end of Hatteras?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with those who question the wisdom of taking a bass boat in the ocean, some of the sounds or even the Cape Fear River. My late uncle had a long lifetime of experience fishing out of the Southport area and would always caution me and my brothers about the Cape Fear River- even when he had a pretty spiffy Stamas with a honker of a V-8. This isn't a bass pond or lake.
    Exactly how big a shark do you want to catch? We have lots of small sharks that are fun but we have some that will spool the biggest reel you can order, some way larger than a kayak. Years ago, my baby brother and I hooked a good size Manta Ray (about 8'-10' side wings) just off Bald Head Island. It took several hours just to get it to the surface and it drug my 18' center console about 3 miles before we were able to secure the planer and pulled the hood loose. The joyous thing about saltwater is you never ever know exactly what you are going to catch. So be careful what you wish for. Big sharks don't get to be big sharks by being stupid. I would think a good charter or even a head boat would be a far safer and more productive approach whether you head down to the Wilmington area or decide to stay up in the Outer Banks. There are many reasons we are called Cape Fear and they are part of the Graveyard of the Atlantic. I have a ton of bass gear and use it a lot in saltwater. But I have some pretty hefty saltwater gear when I go into the ocean after what the ocean has to offer. Good luck- but stay safe. Whitefish 115

Quote Originally Posted by WNCBassGuy View Post
    Nags Head to Cape Point Campground is 51 miles on Google Maps, not saying that its accurate but the lady at the motel said it was about an hour each way since traffic has thinned out. Any suggestions for south of Oregon Inlet on the northern end of Hatteras?
    Maybe things are different this year because of COVID, but traffic on 12 is usually at least moderately heavy in the summer. Plus you will have to slow down going through Salvo/Rodanthe/etc. if you go all the way down to the Point. An hour seems optimistic to me. If you are going to have a vehicle with 4x4, any of the ORV ramps that are in-season at that time will work. I forget if ORV access is allowed in the summer, but one of the first ramps you hit-I think it's ramp 4-will get you out to Oregon Inlet. This is on the southern tip of Bodie Island.

Yea, ramp 4 is open south. I checked on it. Any decent sized fish near the inlet on the south side of OI?

I know of guys that paddle out to drop bait. I ocean kayak plenty. If its calm getting through the surf takes some practice but it's not terrible. Just understand you will get wet doing it. Coming back in takes some work. If all you are doing is carrying bait out it wont hurt anything if you roll in the surf, it happens. Wear a life vest it doesn't bon yiu more than a couple feet when its calm. Look marine weather from noaa and you can get swell height and wave period info.

Yea, we are going to rent one while we are there. If it's safe we will take bait out, if it isn't we wont. I did order a reel last night though. It's going to be a dual purpose rig. I ordered a Penn US Senator 113N so I can't chunk bait if I need too. I'm going to have to wait until I get there to find a decent 12 foot rod. Bass Pro is out of stock on the Ocean Masters. I'm probably going to get a Penn Battalion 12 foot 6-12 for the surf. If I need to get a short fighting rod for dropped baits I'll just grab a Ugly Stick Lite Tiger 5'8" jig rod. From everything I read that US Senator that replaced the baja special is a heck of a reel. The line capacity for its size is pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCBassGuy View Post
    Yea, ramp 4 is open south. I checked on it. Any decent sized fish near the inlet on the south side of OI?
    I'm not sure if the south side of the inlet is accessible right now. There used to be a big parking lot on that end where you could walk out and fish the inlet, but for a while it was monopolized by construction equipment that was involved in building the new Basnight Bridge. I haven't been to Hatteras in a while so I'm not sure if that's cleared up. The new bridge has opened, but there was going to be a secondary project to turn part of the old Bonner Bridge into a fishing pier. I used to fish the southern side of the inlet because I didn't have 4x4 and it was a much easier walk on the southern/Pea Island end, but if you have 4x4 ramp 4 is probably the best choice.

But to your question, you should have a shot at decent sized fish most anywhere out there and inlets are a good place to set up shop. The only thing I would say is that summer is kind of a mixed bag, although I don't shark fish so am not sure on that.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123