Sorry in advance for the questions. Please help!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry in advance for the questions. Please help!!

Default Sorry in advance for the questions. Please help!!

I am bringing my 15 year old son the last week of July or first week of August. I am wondering what all will be available to me with my boat.

2016 Phoenix 920 ProXp, Merc 250 ProXS with dual poles.

My son is determined to get stretched by a shark and I would like to know where the best place for us to stay on the outer banks would be.

What are the limits of my boat? I've been in big water, but the ocean is a different animal all together. Would I be able to get to where there are some larger sharks with it? Also would like to catch some good eating fish to bring back home to the mountains. I live in WNC near Cherokee. I'm open to staying anywhere on the OBX really so just let me know where the best place to use my boat would be. I would much rather fish artificial and have enough bass gear to supply a village. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!!

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Have heard that following a shrimp trawl and fishing with almost anything will result in a hookup. Carolina Outdoor Journal has an episode doing that and fly fishing.

Lot's of Sharks around, try cut bait or live bait.
    If you go in the ocean pick avery calm day with low winds, wear your lifejacket.
    Here's a large Hammerhead we encountered the other day........ICM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLOiJiAivas

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Which is the best inlet for my boat to go through? Also, do the shrimp boats fish nearshore or in the sound? I’m open to stay anywhere in the outer banks. Is it safe to take a 20 foot bass boat out as long as it’s a calm day?

I don't know anything about your boat nor shark fishing but if your looking to launch it and head out to the ocean, Id recommend South Nags Head area so you'll be closer to Oregon Inlet fishing center or head all the way towards the Hatteras Inlet area.

If I was in your shoes Id launch out of the Hatteras inlet, but that's also another 1.5 hrs or more drive than launching out of Oregon Inlet

I would be very careful going out in the ocean on a 20ft bass boat. Would be very easy to get knocked out of the boat with little to no sides. If I were in your shoes and wanted to get my son on a shark I might would call around and find a guide that would take me shark fishing. Would be less stress on you and not have to deal with pulling the boat across the state.
    biglenr, and Jelliefish like this.

Would I be okay in the sounds??

Could I just fish the sounds in my boat?

The sounds can get very choppy, too. I would not go out in the ocean or in the sound(at least not Pamlico Sound, that's the one I know best) in a bass boat.

I'll put it to you this way-I grew up fishing Pamlico Sound and Ocracoke in a boat designed for that kind of environment, and we probably only attempted to go through Ocracoke Inlet into the ocean 40% or so of the time. Conditions had to be *just* right.

I'd reckon that there are head boats out of Oregon Inlet Marina that do shark fishing. I know that the Capt. Stacy in Atlantic Beach does that.

I would recommend trying the Southport area. The Cape Fear river runs into the ocean there and having lived there, I can tell you that there are TONS of sharks there. Please be careful taking a low sided bass boat out in the river. The currents can rip and there are ocean going ships that come in the inlet and they can throw some large wakes. If you get a calm day, you can go out towards the river channel and try for sharks there. Additionally, this time of year, through mid August, there are Tarpon roaming the inlet and the deeper holes behind Bald Head Island.

All good gouge above. I personally wouldn’t attempt to navigate unfamiliar inlets and anything other than a glass ocean in a bass boat. Plenty of half-day charters that will punch your shark ticket.
    You can catch shark in the sound and protected creeks...they ain’t going to set records but They still fight like hell.

Having said that I’ve seen some bigger sharks in those areas ( Ice Cream Man posted a 8’ HH) just never caught anything over 4’ myself.

I appreciate it. Change of plans....Need advice! We are just going to rent an ocean kayak and maybe paddle bait out from the beach. I'll have two teenagers with me to help. Anyone know where the best beaches to shark fish are located......or places near inlets where some larger sharks can be fished for from the bank/surf. I'm only going to buy one rod/reel for the trip and need to decide what to get.

I'm part of Pure Fishing's Pro Staff so I'll either be bringing a Penn Spinfisher 7000 + or a US Senator 113. If I have to fish from the beach or cast....what spinning rod can cast and handle a larger shark. If I kayak or can fish inlets from the bank I'll just bring a Ugly Stick Elite Tiger Casting or Jigging Rod.

Any thoughts? Like I said we will stay anywhere on the outer banks so the boys can have the chance to at least get some runs out of big sharks.

Thank you all very much,

Jason

Yaupon beach ,on Oak Island is known to have some pretty good shark fishing,at least when I lived down there. I know a guy that caught a 500 lb Hammerhead off the beach there. Additionally, there is a channel between Jay Bird Shoals and the beach at the tip of Oak Island. Lots of current,but lots of sharks too.

Your best bet is still the South Nags Head area. You can fish the south side oregon inlet on foot and i believe you can still drive out on the north side.

If you have yaks, the inlet fishing center is kayak friendly not to metion the big bridge boat ramp and the sound access right west of Ocean eaat tackle

I found something on Google Earth just South of Salvo. It looks like a very deep stretch of beach with virtually no bar, then when the bar cuts out it created a very deep gut. Anyone ever fished there?? It looks like it has the potential to hold big fish other than sharks too. Look, we are going to have fun either way. I've got plenty of bass fishing gear that is plenty stout enough for catching normal fish in the surf. We will put out a couple of big poles and just fish with my bass gear while we wait. I'm just excited to go and don't know really what to get. I fish with baitcasters and spinning outfits all the time. I just don't know whats too small or too big or just right for surf fishing for sharks. Someone said a Fathom II 15 is big enough, some say a US Senator 113, some say a spinfisher 7500-8500 and some even say a Senator 115/116. I don't know what to order but I have to order something quick or it won't get here in time for us to leave because it comes straight from the warehouse.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast