New River Fishing Clues

Thread: New River Fishing Clues

Default New River Fishing Clues

I am heading up to New River Campground, just across the NC/VA line between Sparta and Independence next weekend. I'll be kayak fishing. Anyone got any suggestions on techniques and bait? I hear this section of the river is real good small mouth bass, muskie and cat fishing.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Went up and stayed at Twin Rivers three weeks ago. Fished the North Fork mainly due to lack of clarity in the South Fork. Did very well on black or green wooly boogers on the fly rod for smallies with an occasional bonus trout. The smallies were literally hugging the bank in backwater areas in calm water areas behind rocks and trees not out in the faster water much. I usually throw tiny plastics on an ultralight spinning rod but I took the flyrod as well for a change and it paid off well. They did not want any kind of faster paced presentation. The area you are going has some nice smallies and the water is slower with some deeper areas. A small 4" green pumpkin lizard or any kind of craw will get it done. Don't use any more weight or jig head than you have to.
    h2ohhh likes this.

Thanks for the advice Stripes. Love Twin Rivers Campground. Have had good luck in the past there with rock bass, smallmouth and trout. I have always had my best luck using live 3-4" salamanders on the smallies plus an occasional muskie, which unfortunately typically cut the line. I'll be sure to update any success I have when I get back in a couple of weeks.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements