where to go for shallow water saltwater fishing in North Carolina

Thread: where to go for shallow water saltwater fishing in North Carolina

Default where to go for shallow water saltwater fishing in North Carolina

My wife and I would like to rent a house or condo for a couple of weeks in North Carolina for some shallow water salt water fishing. We went to New Bern earlier this year and spent two weeks, Hired a guide but there was no salt water in that area. Had to run several miles east to hit saltwater. Too far for my 18 foot center console. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Swansboro, Emerald Isle area. Also Belhaven.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bath and Belhaven areas will give you easy access to both the Pamlico River and Pungo River, respectively. A house in either town is an easy trailer drive to the other. Been very hot and dry the past two weeks so the salinity is reaching pretty far up both rivers. You should find good fishing for speckled trout, puppy drum, white perch, and flounder (when the season finally comes in). Also have been a few rock around.

Off the Pamlico, both North Creek and South Creek have been productive. Off the Pungo, Slade and Fortescue Creeks are reliable, as is Abel Bay farther to the south and east. If you stay in Belhaven, you can launch at the public boat ramp right there in the Belhaven harbor, or head down Highway 264 to the Wildlife Ramp at Rose Bay in 30 minutes, and the Wildlife Ramp at Swanquarter in about 45 minutes.

Be aware it is almost time for big red drum in/near the sound and at the lower reaches of these rivers. If you get serious about the big drum, you should think about hiring a guide like Rich Andrews at Tar-Pam Guide Service. Or Mitchell Blake at Fish IBX. Best to take a look at an area map and then study a few marine charts for specific locations. If you go, please let us know how you do!
    AHHHH-Spray, Feetup1, fodder, and snack31 like this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Any part of Eastern NC. Prefer Southport to Topsail .........ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Emerald Isle has some shallow water on the sound side.

Bayboro, Oriental, Minnesott have salt water and shallow creeks, shorelines. The South side of the Neuse does also. Trailering from New Bern is easy, or there are vacation rentals in all of the aforementioned towns.

Morehead City and Beaufort have tons of marsh for shallow water. Haystacks, Carrot Island and Middle Marsh to start with. Always had luck in and around Carrot Island, and its nice to see the horses if things get slow.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements