NC Angler Forums banner

New River Smallmouth Trip Official Post

11K views 83 replies 18 participants last post by  jlzorn5 
#1 ·
It's a Royal pain posting the same information on 2 sites but that's what I will be doing. We are less than 3 weeks out from this seasons New River Smallmouth Trip, Anarchy Edition. I'm posting a list of attendees below. IF I MISSED YOU OR IF YOU HAVE EXTRA PADDLERS WITH YOU THAT ARE NOT LISTED PLEASE POST YOUR UPDATE. IF YOU ARE NOT ATTENDING AND I LIST YOU PLEASE POST THAT. No need to post anything if a non paddler is coming with you (eg., Girlfriend, Wife, both, boyfriend, whatever). This is important as I want to give Dustin a head count for ferry services both Saturday and Sunday. I'll get to the details of that after the list.

MWagner
Yadnewyaker
Grey Ghost (non paddler)
Guffy
Daze823
OKSt.
jlzorn5 2
JScott + Zach
Jonathan reason
Fanopoe
Blind Squirrel
Froggy Waters
Plowboy
Agger
Dbeam (I'm assuming he's coming, he's never missed)
Raymond Wells (Ditto)
Masha and Shu and Ian
Riverrunner & Nick
Master blaster (Saturday)

While the country is facing challenging times we will plan for a standard classic event. Friday August 14 there is a Secret Friday float that never happens. Drop your yak off at the Bill Bledsoe Road spot where Roan Creek dumps into the river. Drive your vehicle back up Bill Bledsoe to the Wagoners Access parking lot. I or someone else should be around to take you back to your yak. Be there no later than 11 if you want me to shuttle you back as that's when I will put in and catch all the fish you earlybirds missed. DO NOT leave your vehicle at the put in.

Saturday we will put in at the 221 Access and float about 6 miles to Dustin (Dusty Trails Outfitters) dad's place. For you old time attendees it's just below where we used to take out at Ed's. I will have a Red X flag on a tall pole to mark the spot (river left just past Prathers Creek downstream of the rocks).

Sunday Dustin will come to 221 at 7:30 AM and haul us up to the Fulton Reeves Rd bridge for the short but productive float (@1 1\2 -2 miles). This gives everyone time to load up and get home.

ANY OTHER FLOATS besides these you need to make your own arrangements. The Judge is aware of certain n'er do wells who prefish on Thursday. I will be up there then to ensure no ethical breaches occur.

Please remember to bring a lure or 3 or related fishing equipment for the Saturday big fish competition awards ceremony. I will have the Yeti bucket on my site (28) to deposit them. The Yeti bucket (a gift) has not been used since the last event. Quite impractical and I'm not into the whole Yeti flaunting. But it's good for this purpose. I'll post the tournament rules in September.

The park site does not list any limit on crowd sizes. If that's the case we will have our Saturday group meal at the largest site. Bring a dish for the meal. Alcohol is not permitted but solo cups are. Be discreet with dispensing. Also they ask that you buy firewood on site. I will have a small amount stashed in my truck for late night purposes if needed. 10PM is quiet time.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I will have something for the prize bucket like always. I plan on possibly doing some bank fishing but will not try for a prize from the judge. My fishing skills are seriously lacking these days and the odds of Me catching anything is slim.

#18 ·
Sorry I won’t be able to help you with that one. I’ve been turned down 4 times from joining evidently I’m a bad guy. Guffy is not Guffy so he can’t help also. I will just keep my happy butt here on NCA.I don’t need them anyway I’ve met the friendliest best people right here.

#26 ·
Mr Mad,

I prescribe Zoomalizardquine, the Hydroxychloroquine of the South Fork. It is finesse fishing that requires some getting used to but has proved to be very effective in combatting the Smallie Virus.

Dr. H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
At the very worst Mark I’ll run you up to the low water bridge late in the day and you can float back to 221. Probably be other later arrivals that will join you. It’s good fishing but a short 1.5-2 mile float.

#22 ·
I will be on road at 5:30 am on Friday to make the super secret non existant float. See you guys at the 88 bridge before 8 am

#23 ·
Getting excited for the trip. I may have another friend coming along (will let you know Dr H as soon as its confirmed). He’s got a Hobie with the pedal drive etc.... Im leaning towards bringing a second standard yak as I honestly don’t remember the depth last year since it was so muddy, but I assume it gets as shallow as most rivers in the area. Anyone floated the New with a pedal/mirage drive?

#30 ·
Looking great Len.

River is rising big time as the rain the last few days is draining into it. Dry conditions with a few pop up showers forecast for the week ahead. It will drop as fast as it rose. Let’s keep our fingers crossed for next week.

#32 ·
And... I am out.

Just came from podiatrist. Have a major open ulcer on my right big toe. If it doesn't heal, amputation is quite possible. Not probable... but possible.

No walking, no bike riding, no kayaking, and no putting open wound in a river.

Masha and Shu have my camp site. Enjoy a sip of apple pie for me and pray that I get to keep my toe.

#36 ·
Jlzorn5 plus one other kayaker

It's a Royal pain posting the same information on 2 sites but that's what I will be doing. We are less than 3 weeks out from this seasons New River Smallmouth Trip, Anarchy Edition. I'm posting a list of attendees below. IF I MISSED YOU OR IF YOU HAVE EXTRA PADDLERS WITH YOU THAT ARE NOT LISTED PLEASE POST YOUR UPDATE. IF YOU ARE NOT ATTENDING AND I LIST YOU PLEASE POST THAT. No need to post anything if a non paddler is coming with you (eg., Girlfriend, Wife, both, boyfriend, whatever). This is important as I want to give Dustin a head count for ferry services both Saturday and Sunday. I'll get to the details of that after the list.

MWagner
Yadnewyaker
Grey Ghost (non paddler)
Guffy
EvBlue
Daze823
OKSt.
jlzorn5
JScott + Zach
Jonathan reason
Fanopoe
Blind Squirrel
Froggy Waters
Plowboy
Agger
Dbeam (I'm assuming he's coming, he's never missed)
Raymond Wells (Ditto)
Lostnwilderness (who apparently has gotten lost again)
Masha (pending accomodations
Riverrunner & Nick

While the country is facing challenging times we will plan for a standard classic event. Friday August 14 there is a Secret Friday float that never happens. Drop your yak off at the Bill Bledsoe Road spot where Roan Creek dumps into the river. Drive your vehicle back up Bill Bledsoe to the Wagoners Access parking lot. I or someone else should be around to take you back to your yak. Be there no later than 11 if you want me to shuttle you back as that's when I will put in and catch all the fish you earlybirds missed. DO NOT leave your vehicle at the put in.

Saturday we will put in at the 221 Access and float about 6 miles to Dustin (Dusty Trails Outfitters) dad's place. For you old time attendees it's just below where we used to take out at Ed's. I will have a Red X flag on a tall pole to mark the spot (river left just past Prathers Creek downstream of the rocks).

Sunday Dustin will come to 221 at 7:30 AM and haul us up to the Fulton Reeves Rd bridge for the short but productive float (@1 1\2 -2 miles). This gives everyone time to load up and get home.

ANY OTHER FLOATS besides these you need to make your own arrangements. The Judge is aware of certain n'er do wells who prefish on Thursday. I will be up there then to ensure no ethical breaches occur.

Please remember to bring a lure or 3 or related fishing equipment for the Saturday big fish competition awards ceremony. I will have the Yeti bucket on my site (28) to deposit them. The Yeti bucket (a gift) has not been used since the last event. Quite impractical and I'm not into the whole Yeti flaunting. But it's good for this purpose. I'll post the tournament rules in September.

The park site does not list any limit on crowd sizes. If that's the case we will have our Saturday group meal at the largest site. Bring a dish for the meal. Alcohol is not permitted but solo cups are. Be discreet with dispensing. Also they ask that you buy firewood on site. I will have a small amount stashed in my truck for late night purposes if needed. 10PM is quiet time.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Zorn group will have 2 people, In on Thursday around 1200. Main campground site #4. Would like to float on the Non-float Friday morning. Truck can take at least 4 kayaks. Looking fwd to meeting everyone.

#37 ·
As we are only a week out I’d like to update attendees on a few items.

I do not think we should have a group meal on Saturday for obvious reasons. With the number of folks attending and the amount of touching around the food items it would be difficult to adhere to the rules. Of course invitations to others to stop by a campsite for a bite is fine. Just use common sense in handling food, etc. Transmission of the virus at this event would be a major bummer. I suggest bringing a face covering for riding on the bus during shuttle too. I believe these are mandatory at the rest rooms too.

That said I believe we can assemble at one of the open areas (the field at the end of the sites for example or up by the parking lot) for the awards ceremony on Saturday at 6. I’ll let the ranger know of our plans. Don’t forget to bring a prize and drop it off in the hoitey toitey Yeti bucket at site 28 (Judges Chambers). Additional donations for the Judges charity (Home for retired exotic dancers) is looked upon favorably.

Forecast is typical for August. Pop up showers can occur at anytime. River conditions from these generally recover quickly if affected at all. Don’t forget a rain jacket stored in a dry bag. A light sweatshirt is also a good idea. Lows will be in the low 60’s in the evening and highs in the low 80’s.

The float schedule is intentionally lacking in dangerous rapids. The only one to be aware of is on the Saturday float and it’s about 4 miles into the trip. You’ll hear it well before you see it. If you’re not familiar with the correct line to get through it be near someone who is. It’s river left but just to the right side of the small island on river left. It will drop you through a narrow chute of standing waves and requires a hard turn to the right at the bottom into a large pool. Upon approaching this rapid it appears you can go right down the middle of the river. Don’t.

Last but not least alcohol based ‘disinfectants’ should be housed in Solo cups or personal containers.

Looking forward to a great escape from the madness!

#41 ·
Me and my buddy David will be in on the Thursday float as well and definitely Shatley Springs, been looking forward to this since last year! In for the Friday float with D Beam and Raymond as well! Chomping at the bit! looking forward to meeting more of the guys! Got a few things to throw in the Yeti bucket as well! got a few "Red X Anglers" Decals too! 5$ each my cost.

#43 ·
There was a 5.1 earthquake in Sparta this morning and we felt the aftershock down here in the Piedmont.

The cause is obvious. It was fish quaking in fear.

I cruised by the river yesterday. It was chocolate milk with cream. I also spotted a couple of addicted kayak fishermen on Kerr Scott below the Boomer access. I knew right then all the fish had already been caught.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.