Using Gotcha Plug and need help

Thread: Using Gotcha Plug and need help

Default Using Gotcha Plug and need help

I am fishing at Fort Macon and Im going to use a Gotcha Plug to hopefully catch some Spanish and I need help rigging, what knots to use and what rod to use. Any help would be nice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

If you are using mono as your mainline tie a 10 or so inch piece of 50lb mono leader using a triple surgeons knot. Tie your plug on with a 3turn uni knot. After you cast check your knot to make sure it is pointed forward or at least in the middle and pulled tight so you dont catch your hooks when you retrieve... For a rod a 6'6 -7ft med-medheavy 3000-4000 reel. 10-12lb mono. Keep your drag plenty loose they hit hard

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey as a former pier rat (Old Emerald Isle Pier now torn down) that was taught Spanish fishing by the old guys in the 70 and 80. There is no real wrong way to do it. Ive seen wire used with less success then a 50 lbs mono 12 -14 inch leader. My pref is a 50 lbs leader with a loop knot. The loop knot gives it more action but its all about what you feel like doing. You will want gold hooks. If you get a hit and a miss stop reeling for a second . Ive had them (or another one) take the plug I guess they figured they wounded it or something. That little trick I learned by mistake help catch a lot of fish. Good luck Hopefully soon I can get out and try for some. I miss the EI Pier but glad I bought a boat.

Yea RIP Sportsmans Triple S Iron Steamer EI and the Sheraton. They were all great piers that many people grew up fishing on. They will be missed for sure.
    finstalker, and Saltwater Republic like this.

Fishing from the jetty or surf try a Sting Silver or Kastmaster in 1 ounce or 1 1/2 ounce size.
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by 1Fish2FishRedFishBlueFish View Post
    I am fishing at Fort Macon and I’m going to use a Gotcha Plug to hopefully catch some Spanish and I need help rigging, what knots to use and what rod to use. Any help would be nice.
    Did you end up catching any?

Yea I caught two 14 inch Spanish and grilled em and they were delicious
    zebralips likes this.

Default Spanish tips

Quote Originally Posted by 1Fish2FishRedFishBlueFish View Post
    Yea I caught two 14 inch Spanish and grilled em and they were delicious
    Since we are discussing shore bound techniques, are the inlets decent places to try on a changing tide? I've tried the south end of Oak Island before at the inlet and surf areas with lots of bait present with no luck. Seems like inlets should be good areas but maybe they just don't come in that far? I've always done very well on the piers using nothing more than gold hooks strung together jigged among the pilings but the surf attempts have skunked me every time. Are there ANY piers left with a decent spanish bite short of going to Beaufort area or outer banks? I usually wind up Carolina Beach or Oak Island area but I would be willing to relocate for a good spanish bite. Are there any decent places to try a kayak for them this time of year?

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements