Folding Knife Recs for Cutting Bait

Thread: Folding Knife Recs for Cutting Bait

Default Folding Knife Recs for Cutting Bait

Hey yall,

I thought this would be as good as place as any to get some recommendations on favorite knives for cutting bait. I am typically paddling around in my canoe or kayak and fish from time to time with cut bait, such as bream, white perch, or occasionally something larger that I may cut into chunks (like carp). Id prefer to have something that folds and has a clip, so I can wear it on the exterior of my PDF. Ideally, it could cut through the spine of most smaller baits and might be able to produce some fillets for the smaller hooks. I know I am probably asking to much, but I just wanted to see what others used / preferred out there, especially if you have limited space to carry a knife and cut bait.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You can get some good deals on knife lots on Ebay. Id get a few because u are gonna lose them

Try googling "floating bait knife". Also don't spend a lot because it's going in the water eventually, never to be seen again (unless it floats).
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

One of the alternatives to a floating knives is a knife to which you have attached a float. I am not a kayak guy so I don’t “know” how limited space is. My “kayak” is a 16/48 Jon boat with a poling pole that will float in 4” of water with 3 big folks in it. Plenty of room and it has a motor on the back. But I use a non-folding Rapala knife with a shoelace through the hole in the handle with a nice float attached. The shoe lace is long enough that it doesn’t get in the way of the knife. The advantage is I can use the same knife to filet my catch so I don’t need two knives (though I almost always have a second and third knife along just in case).
    Whitefish115

Default Folding Knife Recs for Cutting Bait

Spyderco Salt would be the ideal option.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Spyderco-Salt-Series--776

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So no such thing as a perfect knife but I will say this... I literally own 10-12 of this knife on my saltwater boat for bait cutting, in my hunting back pack, one in each of my trucks, used filleting fish, gutting, skinning and jointing my deer and bear, is used to joint and process our farm raised chickens, cut my chunks of shad, crappie or WP for catfishing, and any of a myriad of other uses. It does have a "pocket clip" on the back of it but it bends too easily to trust attached to your PFD but you may be able to drill a small hole in the handle and attach a lanyard with caribiner clip. They are cheap enough for me to not worry about losing one occasionally but I have not worn one out yet. My wife can usually find these for $12-15 bucks each on sale if you look online. GL.
    https://www.outdooredge.com/products/fish-bone-fb-1
    FYI speaking of losing them... they make these in green and Hunter Orange all my future ones will be orange

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements