Lake Lake Santeetlah summertime lures for largemouth

Thread: Lake Santeetlah summertime lures for largemouth

Default Lake Santeetlah summertime lures for largemouth

Hey all,

I will be at Lake Santeetlah this weekend for the first time. I'm new to fishing western NC mountain lakes and can't seem to figure them out. I have read through some other threads that suggest jigs, grubs, and things like this, but they seem to be more for smallmouth or crappie. Are there any suggestions for crankbaits, rattletraps, spoons, etc...? What depth should I be looking to get down to? Previously I have been in the 8-12 range with every lure in my tackle box with no luck what so ever.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Drew

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

When I've trolled Santeetlah during the heat of summer, I've picked up Largemouths and Smallmouths usually in the 15-30 foot range. They've hit plugs, spoons, and hoochies. The top of the lake gets hot and they're comfortable down a ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hestera2 View Post
    Hey all,

I will be at Lake Santeetlah this weekend for the first time. I'm new to fishing western NC mountain lakes and can't seem to figure them out. I have read through some other threads that suggest jigs, grubs, and things like this, but they seem to be more for smallmouth or crappie. Are there any suggestions for crankbaits, rattletraps, spoons, etc...? What depth should I be looking to get down to? Previously I have been in the 8-12 range with every lure in my tackle box with no luck what so ever.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Drew
    Wish is could help you on the bass. I normally troll for trout and walleye when there. I'd say they can't be to deep. Water stays cool not far down there. Hopefully some other members that fish it more often will chime in. I will say you must first locate the bait, we always catch plenty of bass while trolling in main channel's. Sometimes even 30 or 40ft deep this time of year. Santeelah has never produced large bass that I'm aware of. Plenty of small one I can say for sure.

That said I believe it is one of the most beautiful lakes I know of around there, along with lake Jocassee. Good luck in your quest, we hope to be up sometime in September to camp for a long weekend. Maybe we'll get lucky and catch a few trout with the surprise walleye or two on there.

P.S. don't for get to send us a report on trip afterwards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you Troutgirl!
    Troutgirl likes this.

Drew Hester

Thanks FISHER87! I'll send an update early next week. I've been on a dry spell so anything on a hook will get my praises.
    Drew Hester

Last summer I took my brother trolling the week before we were to fish a Trout tourney at Santeetlah. We put out a lead-core line with 4 colors and a 2" green hoochie behind a small Father Murphy flasher. I figured this line would never be deeper than 25 feet. I wanted to see if the Trout would come up that high. They didn't. It did catch 3 Smallmouths and 1 Largemouth. We caught another Largemouth on a diving plug flat-lined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg‎ 
Views:	49 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	197949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg‎ 
Views:	56 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	197951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg‎ 
Views:	54 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	197955  

Easiest way to find them is to watch your locator and follow the points that go into the main Lake from shallow to deep. You'll see them in small groups near bottom. Feed them plastics off of drop shots.

I carry a pitch rod with me on my kayak early mornings when I troll for trout. They will be busting bait on the surface, along with some white bass, for the first two hours of light. Get as close as you can to active fish and feed them a weightless fluke.

Last week I got a couple small mouths and a spot while trolling for trout below bait balls. The water is in the 70s until you get beyond 30 feet down. It seems like they might be on the edge of the low 70s, high 60s water.

Disclaimer: I'm a trout fisherman so take anything I say about bass with a grain of salt 🙂
    Fishscalz, and loganwayne like this.

Last but not least, use a Carolina rig. Power drift with the trolling motor around the channel edges in the 25'-30' range, with smaller plastic lizards or worms. You'll need a 1.25 or 1.5 ounce weight, with line around 12 # diameter. You'll lose some rigs, and catch some Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagenia View Post
    Easiest way to find them is to watch your locator and follow the points that go into the main Lake from shallow to deep. You'll see them in small groups near bottom. Feed them plastics off of drop shots.

I carry a pitch rod with me on my kayak early mornings when I troll for trout. They will be busting bait on the surface, along with some white bass, for the first two hours of light. Get as close as you can to active fish and feed them a weightless fluke.

Last week I got a couple small mouths and a spot while trolling for trout below bait balls. The water is in the 70s until you get beyond 30 feet down. It seems like they might be on the edge of the low 70s, high 60s water.

Disclaimer: I'm a trout fisherman so take anything I say about bass with a grain of salt 🙂
    Pretty sure we yelled back and forth at each other last weekend? Close to sunrise going around the main point in the channel, you were heading towards the ****.

I was in the red princecraft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loganwayne View Post

Pretty sure we yelled back and forth at each other last weekend? Close to sunrise going around the main point in the channel, you were heading towards the ****.

I was in the red princecraft

Yes sir, that was me. Slow morning for me. I think I ended with only 2 trout at 9:30am. White bass were hungry between the marina and the channel...I should've stayed on that end. I hope you had a little more trout action.

Yes sir, that was me. Slow morning for me. I think I ended with only 2 trout at 9:30am. White bass were hungry between the marina and the channel...I should've stayed on that end. I hope you had a little more trout action.
    I only got one trout, a good sized spot and a few white bass. I fished till nearly 1:30 but didn’t get a hit after about 10:00

Just wonder where did you put in your kayak, at Cheoah point or Marina? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hangout View Post
    Just wonder where did you put in your kayak, at Cheoah point or Marina? Thanks.
    That day I put in at Cheoah Point. Some days I put in a little closer to home. I think the marina is a private ramp, although I've never been down there.

Im trying to learn bass over on wolf and bear lake. We can look down in 20' and see them. The only success ive had is dragging a carolina rigged floating worm, hooked wacky along the bottom. I start in the backs of the reliefs and work deeper

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements