Saltwater fishing on the Sound in Gloucester

Thread: Saltwater fishing on the Sound in Gloucester

Default Saltwater fishing on the Sound in Gloucester

Hoping for some advice here. Will be traveling with the family soon to spend some time in Gloucester. We'll be staying right on the Sound...looks like we are in an area that is between Gloucester and Marshallberg. We won't have a boat (maybe some Kayaks though!)

I've never fished here before and was just going to bring a number of lures. Any idea of what people are catching here? Any summer flounder? Will have kids out fishing too and they'll be happy to catch anything.

Thoughts on types of lures or live bait to use as well as a heads-up on types of fish we might catch would be really appreciated. Thanks for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Fishing by the Harkers Island bridge can produce trout and flounder. Gulp on a jighead, a trout rig tipped with small bit of shrimp, maybe a bucktail with a little bacon can work.
    5 miles up the road is the Smyrna Creek bridge which can produce some nice fish on a moving tide. You could even try fishing at the end of Harkers Island near the ferry. I highly recommend fishing early this time of year.

Hey - thanks, man. Really appreciate the tips and general locations to check out while I am in town. My kids will be happy to hook into anything really but I'd like to target some flounder. I've never fished saltwater for trout before - guessing it is the same type of action and lures I'd use here in our local rivers/streams? We use a lot of panther martin spinners up here. Again, appreciate you taking the time to share some local knowledge. Thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

For flounder you will want to be bumping your rig on the bottom. Live minnows on a jig or trout rig or bucktail will give you the highest probability. Otherwise the bacon or gulp should work. Fishing around the bridge should produce. If you get in kayaks, just work up and down the shore line and docks on a moving tide.

Depending on the age of your kids, you can have some fun with a double bottom rig and squid. Lots of pin fish and some croakers (small) but you may pick up a flounder or a red drum. Might also have fun with a skate, dogfish or a baby black-tip.

Also, don't forget to put crab traps out. I'm catching 3-6 per trap on a 24 hour soak.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements