Pungo Tips

Thread: Pungo Tips

Default Pungo Tips

Heading to the Pungo later this week. Will mostly be around the Slade Creek area. Any ideas on how I should be looking to find the usual suspects this time of year? (reds, trout, flounder)

Does the hurricane mess things up for me?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Slade and Fortescue Creeks are always good...fish the points in at least 4-5 feet of water...find the bait and you will find the fish. Today’s hurricane forecast is for 1-3 inches of rain, a 2-3 foot surge, and a quick in and out of the area on Tuesday, maybe 45 mph winds.

You might lose a day or two of fishing. Heavier rains than forecast might change the salinity in the creeks and force the fish out into the main river. If that happens I would go farther down into Abel Bay.

As a (good) back-up plan, remember that you are a 30 to 40 minute truck ride from Rose Bay and Swanquarter...according to the forecast those areas might not get as much rain. Good luck...please report back!
    AHHHH-Spray likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Thanks for the advice. Will report back.

Would you expect me to have much luck w/ trolling artificials (x-raps, swimbaits on jigheads, etc.) or should I be catching live bait this time of year?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Z Man, Gulp, and Mirrolure MR17s are what I use. If the pins are bad, ditch the Gulp baits...Z’s hold up way better.

Any killer Zman colors for that area?

Pearl, chartreuse, yellow with red splotches...good luck.

Ended up not being able to go because of the hurricane. Knocked out power and water to the place we were going to stay. I'm hopefully getting out there late fall or spring so will report back then.
    Chris52 likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements