Reel Size for Old Drum

Thread: Reel Size for Old Drum

Default Reel Size for Old Drum

Hi all, its been a long time since I posted, I hope this site is still seeing a good amount of traffic.

I have a couple junky old reels that are on a some fairly stout rods. I am looking to replace these with new reels for the purpose of old drum and probably occasional trolling and places like the MHC port wall, maybe occasional surf fishing. I am inland and make it to the coast 4-5 times a year, so I am thinking budget (around $100), because I can make these last a long time based on my maintenance of some other cheap reels I have. I would ask my friend about what he has, but he can never keep things straight.

What size do you recommend for the old drum: 4500 or 5000? I hear that above 5000 is overkill. Maybe a 4000? I am thinking something along the lines of a Penn Battle or maybe a Diawa. What about the Penn Pursuits? Those are around $50-60

Thanks!
    Jay

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

4000 to 4500 spinning reel should do you just fine. For the price range you describe, I personally would go with a Penn Fierce II because I think the drag is much better than on the Pursuit. I also like a level-wind baitcasting set up like the Abu-Garcia Ambassador series on a Team Daiwa 7 ft medium heavy casting rod—that is my popping cork rig.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Size 4000 with the Penn Fierce will get it done..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Daiwa BG 4000
    Mr. Wizard, and TomnNC like this.

I use the Penn Fierce II 4000 reels on several rods for Old Drum popping cork rig setups. I have had no issues with them. I have also used them a couple of times to soak bait for old drum. I only use these during old drum season and have held up fine for several years.

Hey thanks everyone for the responses. It sounds like I will be good with the 4000 size. I was also wondering about the big popping corks and also the Lupton rigs. It looks like I am going to pull the trigger on Penn Fierce III, those seem like a great price.

Blabber Mouth popping cork seen to do well & make a lot of noise.

Blue Water Candy make a perfect Lupton rig.

Fishing bait you will lose some to Sharks, buy a few BWC rigs.
    In the video below we could have caught a lot more Old Drum but ran out of rigs to cut offs...... ICM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkvHPLPg9us
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orange_cork_544x320.jpg‎ 
Views:	326 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	197993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ray's Red 1 jpeg.jpg‎ 
Views:	333 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	197995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2298.jpg‎ 
Views:	328 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	197997  

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Hey ICM thanks for the reply - this is the first I saw it! I guess NC Angler isn't notifying us of responses like it used to.

I have the 4000 Fierce III now - it looks small, I hope I don't get spooled! Its a nice reel though!

I have a blabbermouth, but haven't fished it very much. When I got it last year we were constantly chased off the Neuse by thunderstorms. Only some cownose rays on Lupton rigs. I later heard that a lot of people had the same troubles that weekend. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this year!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements