Reds chewing

Thread: Reds chewing

Default Reds chewing

Launched the kayak out of Goose creek landing on Saturday (Aug 1). Went just into the river on the right and the reds were there. 1st one I hooked, line broke (my fault) just above the cork. Re-tied and casted again, same spot and BAM! Bout an 18 redfish. Casted a little more to no avail. Started up the river when I spotted my cork. Tried to get the sneak on him but everytime I got close he swam away. Fished a some more and picked up a rat red. Lost track of the cork.

Started getting a little hot so I headed back, but had to stop at that 1st hot spot. 1st cast BAM! 21" redfish. Looked over, saw my cork back where he 1st broke off. I said "i got something for you" Casted my z-man paddletail on a jig head, and the 2nd cast snagged the cork was able to FINALLY land the 1st fish I hooked into, ~18".

Started getting really hot at this point, but I couldn't leave now. Casted hastily for about 10 more minutes to no avail (which was a GOOD thing) Headed back to the ramp and started feeling dizzy and very exhausted. Didn't seem like I was moving while paddling in the kayak. Did make it back to the ramp dazed and slightly confused. Got approached by the wildlife fisheries guy to take his survey and I did. When he asked to measure and weigh the fish I said "sure, but I gotta get some water" I downed half the bottle of water in 2 gulps and started feeling sick to my stomach.

Survey guy did his thing and we said good day. I slowly but surely packed everything up and hit the road, finishing the bottle of water before getting to the main road. Cracked my 2nd bottle and downed that one too. Bout half later felt fine.

Was quit pleased with the day. Fished for about 4 hours. All fish came on gulp! 4" shrimp under a popping cork. Next time "bring water in the kayak!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow sounds like a great and not so great day.
    ~JOE~
    Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Great fishing story—glad to hear about the slot-sized reds. You also give a pretty good description of dehydration and possible heat stroke! Take it easy out there!
    Wellred likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good read, take the heat seriously. Glad your ok .......ICM
    sirray, and Wellred like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Great trip. I think I may start releasing my good fish with a cork attached. It should make follow-up trips more successful. But really I recently paddled out to a great spot at 6 in the morning only to learn I had left my water at the launch. That trip was cut well short. Dehydration can cause all sorts of issues. I enjoy your stories.
    sirray likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements