Newport River

Thread: Newport River

Default Newport River

Hi all -

Looking for some Newport river fishing/running advice. I hear folks talk about fishing it, but have never spent much time up in there myself. How shallow is it? Are there any markers/things to look out for when running? Best tides to fish it? Etc.... Anyone willing to offer some advice? Looking for drum and trout, primarily. I have never really been past the yellow line, from crab point to the ICW.

Feel free to DM if you'd prefer. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 2.40.55 PM.jpg‎
Views:	77
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	197991

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blog Entries

Not a hard river to run in your boat. Major things to watch out for are the oyster rocks that jut way out into the river and the pvc pipes marking oyster leases. On high water the oyster rocks are completely submerged and some are only submerged a little bit and pose a potential threat. Also on high water some of the pvc pipes are barely submerged. The rocks I refer to are all listed on the charts and on Navionics. Id recommend studying that first.

Hard to beat a topwater bait early in the morning for trout and reds, then switching over to popping cork as the sun gets up. If I could choose the perfect conditions to fish the river this time of year it would be the last 2 hours of incoming first 2 of outgoing when that coincides with sunrise or sunset.

Id be glad to show you around the river in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    Not a hard river to run in your boat. Major things to watch out for are the oyster rocks that jut way out into the river and the pvc pipes marking oyster leases. On high water the oyster rocks are completely submerged and some are only submerged a little bit and pose a potential threat. Also on high water some of the pvc pipes are barely submerged. The rocks I refer to are all listed on the charts and on Navionics. I’d recommend studying that first.

Hard to beat a topwater bait early in the morning for trout and reds, then switching over to popping cork as the sun gets up. If I could choose the perfect conditions to fish the river this time of year it would be the last 2 hours of incoming first 2 of outgoing when that coincides with sunrise or sunset.

I’d be glad to show you around the river in the near future.
    Yeah, I don't know why I never thought to get up with you, a resident Newport river expert, LOL. Sounds good to me, I would love to get out and learn a bit about it. I feel like living so close, but never exploring it, is simply a wasted opportunity. I never hear a ton about the fishing within the river, but the little I do, sounds like it is pretty good if you know what you're doing.

Let's set something up for sure when you have some free time. Thanks Tony!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

im in the same boat to a degree. I usually fish slocum and hancock and a little of the neuse due to working on base, but the ramp in Newport is just a mile or so down the road and I should probably fish it more.

Trigger, what are your thoughts on the very mouth of the Newport right by the two islands?
    Red X Anglers

Quote Originally Posted by FOWL MOOD View Post
    im in the same boat to a degree. I usually fish slocum and hancock and a little of the neuse due to working on base, but the ramp in Newport is just a mile or so down the road and I should probably fish it more.

Trigger, what are your thoughts on the very mouth of the Newport right by the two islands?
    I have only been on the upper part of the river once, from that launch on Chatam street, are you talking? We took some friends kayaks out there... Don't recall catching much, but if you had a boat that you could run in there, I would be interested in hearing more about the fishing up that way. I have heard people catch bass and brim in there, but have also heard there are a lot of snakes. LOL

How deep is it at that launch and towards the mouth, any idea? I would imagine it is pretty much jon boat/kayak/canoe territory only, but could be wrong...

yes, chatham st. pretty shallow, but if you plan the tide correctly youre in an out no issue, just small water. I had a CS 17dlx when I lived here years ago. sold it and haven't bought one since. All of my duck boats are pretty shallow draft and get in and out no issue no matter the tide.

I have fished the Newport river until I got to the mouth, which is a 20-30 min run depending on your motor. yes there are snakes.
    Red X Anglers

yes, chatham st. pretty shallow, but if you plan the tide correctly youre in an out no issue, just small water. I had a CS 17dlx when I lived here years ago. sold it and haven't bought one since. All of my duck boats are pretty shallow draft and get in and out no issue no matter the tide.

I have fished the Newport river until I got to the mouth, which is a 20-30 min run depending on your motor. yes there are snakes.

Yeah, I am not a big fan of snakes, so probably leave that fishery alone.... LOL

Used to be good for Bass, Crappie and Brim but since the big hurricanes the fish have been flushed out. Fished there three times (March, June and last week) NADA!!!

Blog Entries

That area can be good for trout in the fall. I rarely fish that far up on the summer months

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements