Julian Price Lake and Campground

Thread: Julian Price Lake and Campground

Default Julian Price Lake and Campground

Was hoping that someone has had some experience kayak fishing and camping at the Julian Price Lake and campground. Have visited several times on day trips while in the Blowing Rock area, but now that the campground has re-opened I am seriously thinking about a 3 or 4 day weekday tent camping/fishing trip. Note that I am retired so would plan to avoid the weekend crowds.

I would hope to land a campsite along the lake shore and launch my own yak from my campsite. In addition to the stocked trout, what other fish might I expect to catch in that lake? Baits I should use? Any other campground info? Any side trips I should take while fishing in that area?

It is so hot and humid down east I need a break! ANY experience—and advice—would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks...Chris
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You will likely need to launch from the ramp, or the dock. I don't think they allow launching from the campsites, but I've never tried, since there is ramp at the lake for non powered craft, and I keep the canoe on the truck racks when not on the water.

The lake is mostly stocked Trout, but there are stunted Sunfish, Catfish, along with a few Bass as well.

During the day Powerbait is likely to be your best bet, early and late will see the most fish activity, you can have some fun fly fishing shallower under the overhanging trees if you fly fish. Inline spinners, Joe's Flys, and small jigs all work there as well on a spinning rod. Use light line, or you will get very few bites.

Paddle trolling deeper will occasionally yield a large Brown Trout, but it's mostly stocked with Rainbows.

It will still be warm up there, the humidity will be less. And wear plenty of sunscreen, the higher elevation will let you cook without realizing it.
    Chris52 likes this.

Thanks for all that info...I am going to call the campground office and ask about launching from a lakeside campsite...this is not a deal breaker but I would like to know before I get there. I have also recently purchased a Lawson camping hammock/tent (and proper tree straps) so I need to ask if it is OK to ‘hang’.

I don’t fly fish so will be using Ultra-light spinning gear, with 4 pound test line, which is the lightest mono I can still tie with my arthritic hands. I have had good success with flies using a clear casting bubble, so will try that as well as the in-line spinners and jigs. Is a 1/16 ounce jig small enuf, or do I need to be throwing a 1/32? Again, to get some distance, I will use the casting bubbles.

Thanks for the sunscreen advice...I forget about that at the higher elevations.

Chris
    Fishscalz likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Either 1/16 or 1/32 is fine. Often there will be a hatch of some type in the evening in Summer, and a float and fly works nicely. In some ways it's easier to fish under the overhanging trees with the float and fly than with a fly rod.
    Chris52 likes this.

I live in Boone and do some kayak fishing at Price Lake. You can also use live bait now. I use nightcrawlers on a size 6 Eagleclaw bait hook. I Carolina rig it and use little to no weight at all. Also have used small salamanders that work very well if available. I am pretty sure you can only launch from the dock or ramp. I am 69 and probably face some of the same situations you may have kayaking. I made a dolly for my 12' Ocean kayak that works very good for transporting my yak from my pickup or camp site to the ramp. Basically it is a milk crate with wheels attached, two 3/4' pvc pipes to stick up through two scupper holes and V shaped wedges cut into the top of the crate to balance the kayak. Contact me at 828/964-5557 if you want a fishing bud when you come up. Maybe I can break away for a few hours to fish some with you. Good luck.
    Chris52 likes this.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements