General Info for Surf City inshore fishing?

Thread: General Info for Surf City inshore fishing?

Default General Info for Surf City inshore fishing?

I'll be vacationing in Surf City this coming wk and bringing my 20' bay boat. Not being familiar with the area, any tips on general areas to focus on for reds, flounder, or trout? Not looking for specific spots, just areas to start my search in. On Google maps, Dixon Pt and Kings Creek looked potentially fishy... Thanks for any insights!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try alligator bay, Freeman’s creek

Where are you staying in Surf City? Does your boat have a trolling motor?

Plenty of good fishing between the bridges on both east & west sides of the ICW.
    Stay between NTI & New River inlet. With only a week stay, there is no need to run over fish to fish further north or south ......
    Falling tide seems to be best tide.

Hope this helps...... ICM

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips so far. Yes, I have a trolling motor. I do a lot of fishing in Lower Cape Fear R and am quite comfortable navigating shallow water and tidal swings. I'm staying right near the town hall in Surf City near the bridge. Keeping my boat about 15 minutes down hwy 17 towards hamsptead

That's all very productive fishing area.
    Catch them up ......ICM

Just wanted to follow up. Ended up first day catching tons of trophy lizard fish and a few short flounder. Made some adjustments the next day and ended up with 3 flounder over 20" and 1 slot red. Got broke off on a pylon by a doormat too...that one will haunt me for a bit. Ty for the tips!

That's impressive, good fishing .....ICM

Quote Originally Posted by wilykyote View Post
    I'll be vacationing in Surf City this coming wk and bringing my 20' bay boat. Not being familiar with the area, any tips on general areas to focus on for reds, flounder, or trout? Not looking for specific spots, just areas to start my search in. On Google maps, Dixon Pt and Kings Creek looked potentially fishy... Thanks for any insights!
    Come back to Kings when the water temp cools. The trout will stack until the netters get in there. Not much in the creek during the summer except for a few puppy drums. It is tough to get to at full moon, low tide. Gotta get through Spicer bay to get to the creek. There's a channel, but even it's shallow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just wanted to follow up. Ended up first day catching tons of trophy lizard fish and a few short flounder. Made some adjustments the next day and ended up with 3 flounder over 20" and 1 slot red. Got broke off on a pylon by a doormat too...that one will haunt me for a bit. Ty for the tips!
    I live in the area. If you found any holes, help a brother out! I cannot find the slot reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Smokey View Post
    I live in the area. If you found any holes, help a brother out! I cannot find the slot reds.

First day I fished creeks feeding the ICW but found them to be very shallow, too shallow to work properly, and other than tons of bait and lizard fish, didn't see signs of predator fish.

Next day I fished docks along the ICW during low tide and chose sections based on 3 criteria: 1- dock ends in deeper water, 2- Bait fish present, 3- current pushes into dock or has unusual current. Most of my bites were on the shallow/top side of the drop [3' deep] and happened along a section of docks that actually had a pronounced current eddy.
    ice cream man likes this.

Grew up fishing between Wrightsville Bch and Rich’s inlet and never remember catching Lizard fish like I have over the last Ten years? I seem to catch at least one of these bastards every trip nowadays! Thanks for,the fishing report wileyK! Hit the basin at Ft Fisher last week, not a nibble but nabbed a mess of crabs w the wee ones!

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements