NC Angler Forums banner

Gas tank replacement on Triumph 191FS? - Suggestions for a shop?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  lunkerbandit 
#1 ·
Well our 2nd owner 2004 Triumph has a leak in it's 15 year life expectancy gas tank. Looking for a shop somewhere near the Triad/Central NC that can replace it. It seems to have an easy access mid deck plate that says "Gas tank under here" embossed into it, but my local guru seems to be skeptical that only removing that deck plate will allow removal of the tank. He is still taking it apart, but is under the impression that the Yami 115 has to come off, and the whole transom section must come off, in order to fully access the removal of the tank. I didn't expect it to be cheap, but I did expect it to be easier than cutting out a glass deck and rebuilding the glass deck after the new tank is in.

He has a call into his buddy that worked at Triumph so hopefully he will glean the knowledge and tips he needs to get it done. Just wondering from the NCAngler community who knows of a backup plan if he hits a barrier he cannot overcome? Any shops Central NC with the background to replace a Triumph tank?

I was hopeful that since it's not glass and that it has what appears to be an easy access mid deck plate, that the tank would be relatively (compared to glass boat) easier to replace.

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations for a back up shop?

We already love the Triumph; and 16 years on a 15 year life span tank is to be expected. Please keep your thoughts to yourself if you plan on just telling me your negative thoughts on Triumph instead of helpful info. Thanks all!

See less See more
#2 ·
I had no idea they had a "life span". Could you possibly do an external tank? I'm not that familiar with those boats so I can't be much help. But if it involves glass work I would really explore the portable tank idea if you have the space. Good luck.

#5 ·
It's a Triumph, so it's made of Roplene, not glass. The tank is standard belly tank 40 gallon trapezoid shape. Everything is put into the boat after rotomolding, so it is a matter of removing the screws and Rule adhesive bond and then doing the swap. I've been scouring the Triumph owner's forums at Performance.net and some of the Triumphs do require removing the motor and splash well, some don't, couldn't find anyone specifically mentioning the 191FS. I think after he gets the deck plates off he will be fine. I did also see that Merritt Marine in Hillsborough is the place to go so I reached out to them as a back up plan. Carl is mentioned a lot in the forums, and he is still there and responded that they can swap out the tank no problem, if my local mechanic hits a wall. Apparently Merritt is the only shop in NC that regularly replaces gas tanks, so often that they just keep them in stock in their warehouse. Good to know for everyone's boats!
By the way, gas tanks average 15 years before failing, at least the extruded polymer plastic kind. You may get more or less from an aluminum tank.
Thanks all!

#8 ·
It's not they are the only ones replacing gas tanks, it's that they are the only ones with Triumph fuel tanks. They have pretty much all of the NOS inventory from the Triumph plant, and Carl even has some parts manufactured from original Triumph drawings to support the boats still running. They are a great company.

#7 ·
Don't let him cut anything, there is no fiberglass in that boat and it all screws together, The motor will probably have to be lifted to remove the splashwell but it isn't that big a job and the floor will lift out after removing screws. Merrit Marine is in fact the place to go for replacement parts as they bought out all the inventory when Triumph shut down, and Carl is the guy to talk to. While you are in there check to see if that boat has an inner hull drain and if so make sure the foam inside is not waterlogged, if there isn't one, add one. When you put the boat back together use Sudbury Elastomeric on the sealant on the screws because 5200 does not adhere well to the Roplene material the boat is made out of. It's a great boat with a nice soft ride, but the maintenance is a little different than a glass boat.

#9 ·
Thanks all for the info, super appreciated. The local shop was able to remove the tank as expected, without removing the motor. They lifted the rear bench section up just enough to remove the tank. In the 191FS it appears to be a standard Moeller style 40 gal belly tank, standard shape. It did have gas and water in it, confirming the leak and probably why there were intermittent, but brief issues with the motor running. Probably need to go ahead and change out the fuel/water separator as long as everything is being refreshed. It's surely had a workout by now.

Went as smoothly as I had thought it should. They are redoing the hoses, wiring and water pumps while she's opened up, and repairing whatever is wrong with the FlowRite bait tank system. Should be good as new by the end of the week.

Ready to get some stripers at Smith Mtn. Lake in a couple of weeks!

Pics attached

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.