NC Angler Forums banner

Hope I didn't make a bad choice...Beginner here but made an impulse buy on my next rod/reel combo

Inshore 
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ice cream man 
#1 ·
Well this is a case of "Dang that car looks good!" combined with "Crap they are all gone!" that led me to this.

So my first setup, the St Croix AvidX and Shimano Stradic CI4+ made me fall in love with inshore fishing. I cannot remember the last time I had so much fun. So needless to say I'm hooked.

Combine that with the excitement of my wife and I coming to an agreement on 1.5 years until we have to move to the coast so saltwater fishing will be my new normal made me needing to find a new setup.

I like spinner rods but honestly my heart is where when I was young fishing with my dad, a baitcaster was all I would use.

So I got to just window shopping for one that would be suitable for inshore. Thinking about keeping my gear Shimano driven it landed me at the Curado K but I read the saltwater killed some for people. Then I looked at the Daiwa Coastal SV TW 150 and man that blue looked good! I was all set on getting that one and then I saw this one...

13 Fishing Concept C

The white/pearl...steel color metal...cork handles. It looked like a million bucks! So I did some quick 30 minute research and everything seemed positive. Looked for one for sale and couldn't find a single RH one out there in 8.1:1. I gave 13 Fishing a call to see when they would get more in stock and they said it isn't being produced anymore due to the Concept C Gen2 taking it's place. So the technician from 13 Fishing literally told me, if I can find one/any in RH to grab it while I can because more will not be coming. I searched EVERYWHERE and could only find ONE RH model in 7.3:1 ratio and I figured that would be good enough. So that's what I got on the way as a base for my 2nd setup.

Well...Did I make a bad choice?

Edit: As it turns out they don't have one and oversold me that one. :( My luck

See less See more
#2 ·
My brother uses the orange concept.
They do not have traditional bearings and hold up well in marine environments.
He uses his inshore and off. I'm am not sure about the white concept, but the orange has 30 pounds of drag.
My brother has caught everything from croakers to cobia, kings and grouper with his. He uses an Xtra heavy g Loomis bass rod offshore, a d a lighter action st. Croix for inshore.

So you made a good decision IMO

#5 ·
Did you make a bad choice? Depends on what you plan on fishing for.
If you're fishing for speedy fish like Albies or Bonito, high speed retrieve is perfect.
For slower winter time fishing for lethargic species, maybe...... ICM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.