NC Angler Forums banner

Buggs Island/Kerr Reservoir

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  fishmanj 
#1 ·
I will be fishing Buggs Island the first week of October for the first time. Anyone have recommendations on what to use and areas to fish? Target is Largemouth Bass. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
I'm no expert on Buggs having only fished there once but from what I saw it should fish like any other reservoir in this area at that time of the year. Fish will be on the move following the bait back into the creeks/coves as the water cools. Find the bait and start fishing. It will be mostly junk fishing (catching fish here and there on a variety of lures). If you aren't seeing schools of bait visually or on the graph move on. Fish will be where the bait is.

#7 ·
I used to use Speed Shads there, worked well. I have first-hand info about a submerged railroad trestle in the Satterwhite Point section of the lake, and holds fish year-round. IIRC it's about 20-30ft down, pretty cool place and it's on the lake map.

There are also a lot of trees by the river channel near the dam, and you can deep troll for some great stripers especially at night.

#8 ·
I was just there on vacation for 5 days. I caught them good on topwater in the mid lake area between County Line and Eastland, also found some schoolers with stripers mixed in. Look for shad in the bigger pockets and creeks hard to beat a spinnerbait or crankbait in the fall at Kerr. Eastland, Butchers, Grassy and Bluestone have always been good creeks for me in the fall. Kerr is a big lake so you might have to cover some water to find the fish... once you figure out a pattern, run it and skip over the rest.

#10 ·
Got back from Buggs Island yesterday.Didn't do too well. All the bass we caught were under 10". Had a full moon all weekend, cold front and wind. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it LOL. There was a big tournament going on there. I was told it was a VA State Tournament. I wonder what the big catch/size was? That was my first time there, and I loved it. I would highly recommend staying at the Occoneechee State Park in one of their cabins. The price is around the same as staying at a nice motel, but you have more privacy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.