NC Angler Forums banner

MHC Area

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Frank Powers 
#1 ·
So, I'm looking for some advice and this place has always been good to me. My wife and I just recently moved our boat down to Core Creek Marina and I'm trying to get some info on inshore areas down that way. It's about halfway on Adams Creek, so we could either run up the Neuse and possibly Oriental, or down to Beaufort, Atlantic Beach area. We've fished a decent amount in the Pamlico sound, but this area is a different ball game. I always read about the Haystacks and Middle Marsh area, and I know about where they are located. I'm just looking for someone to point us in the right direction on where to start when it comes to inshore. I'm not looking to steal anyone's honey holes. We're still learning a lot and have many days that it ends up just being a boat ride with fishing and not much catching. We're also looking into doing a little nearshore fishing as well, but those days will be fewer. We're in a 21 foot deeper v, but not a true offshore boat. I know we're also at a little disadvantage right now as we don't have a trolling motor either. That's high on my list, but it's a hard pill to swallow with the cost of them! Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated and I'm open to PM's as well. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

#2 ·
I am not a local - so take this all with a grain of salt. But I am figuring it out better each time I go over there.

If you have a deep V and no trolling motor, the easiest thing for you to do is go to the port wall, or the bridges and anchor up. You can also work your way out in the shipping channel and out Beaufort inlet. Just keep anchoring up, or drifting if you are in the open water away from the wall or bridge pilings.

You can also troll for spanish (and kings) in that boat. You can troll down Shackleford to Cape lookout area, and you can go to AR 315 at a minimum, there are other AR's too.

The Neuse is great but some of the creeks there can get skinny.

And if you do want to try your hand at the haystacks or middle marsh, I think the best approach without knowing the area is covering water. That is tough without a trolling motor, and you can't get in the skinny water with the deep V, but if the current or wind is right you might be able to just drift along the grasslines, maybe anchoring every so often. You could also head straight to major points by the channel and anchor near those.

#3 ·
Jay, thanks for your info. I'm planning on getting into trolling some. In fact, I want to bring some stuff down Saturday and try some nearshore. I'm hoping some Spanish are still around and maybe get into a king, but I'm sure all the rain and wind has the water looking nasty. I always see people talking about fishing the port wall, but I wasn't sure where or how to go about that. Didn't know if there was a certain side that works better than others. I do know that I'm not supposed to tie up to the wall at all. That much I've gathered for searching through other threads lol. I have drifted the Taylor's creek side of Radio Island before in the fall and caught all the small trout you could ask for in a day. I'm fairly comfortable putting our boat in 2, 2 and a half feet of water. She doesn't have a ton of dead rise, so she'll go pretty shallow. I hate having to anchor with all the noise it makes, especially in the shallows looking for a trout or reds. But, I'm a boater on a budget, so until I can find the right deal on a trolling motor, I do whatever I have to do to try to get on fish. I'd love to get into red drum. We've never had a good day catching them. It's always been trout or flounder and we do pretty good on those, but this new area has me stumped right now. I know I'm asking a lot, and I know it takes years to gain a lot of knowledge. Just trying to flatten that learning curve as much as I can. But I will say any day on the water is better than a day doing just about anything else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.