NC Angler Forums banner

3rd time the Charm

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Chris52 
#1 ·
I struck out my first two attempts to land an old red kayaking this year. This past Thursday we put in at 6:45am. Weather was perfect and winds were light. Everywhere Downeast the marsh and water levels are high. The Neuse seemed a little high also, though I am not too experienced with the Neuse River. Fished until noon with only one keeper trout and a lizard fish. A fair amount of bait near the bank, but no bait balls. Fishing was bad. Fairly discouraged I headed out to deeper water. Had been fishing poppin cork and Luptin rig with cut mullet and throwing a trout rig. While moving to the deeper water, BOOM menhaden bait balls appeared all around. With renewed energy we fished all around them, chasing various balls. 90 minutes and no luck. Then I threw top water rig through a ball snagging a bait. I replaced my juicy mullet with a menhaden on the Luptin. 3 minutes later the drag was screaming. My 4000 real was able to bring in a golden 43 incher for a quick photo after a 4 minute fight. I gave my rod and another snagged bait to my fishing partner but that rod was not to scream again today. I was now only using my blabbermouth poppin cork. I have never caught much on it, let alone an old red. My arm was quite tired, having popped on and off for 8 hours. But the bait balls were still all over (and no one fishing that Thursday). After another 30 minutes and my 3000 real was singing. I new I was in for a more delicate battle. 6 plus minutes and I saw color. The big boy was ready but I was shocked. That monster was foul hooked on his pectoral fin. I dont know how this was possible. I showed my fishin buddy and pulled out the hook and he took off. I wish I had taken I photo of the hook set. Dont know if he could have possibly thrown the hook and then became foul hooked. Also, it doesn't feel as legit, landing a foul hooked old red. Regardless, this third attempt was the charm Although slow, it was successful and worth it. What a privilege it is to have a world class old drum fishery here in NC. Let's always take care of those beautiful fish.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.