NC Angler Forums banner

Lake James area trout fishing

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JM76 
#1 ·
Next week I'll be heading to Lake James State Park for a few days to hit up the bike trails and do some camping. Dawned on me that I could be relatively close to some trout fishing rivers/streams. I know that seems silly since I'll be on a huge lake, but I've only trout fished once in my life and I loved it. Would love to do it again while I'm up there. (Believe me I'll be fishing the lake as well!)
Been looking for some nearby areas with bank access. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind driving 30 minutes or so. Would like to stay relatively close.
Thanks!

#2 ·
As I don't live there and I am sure any of my misstatements will be corrected, I'll say I'm envious and wish I was there &
There is a lot of info posted by NC. Check and read the regs. DH begins 10/1. Curtis Creek at Old Fort is heavily stocked
HAVE FUN wish I was there AND IT WOULD STOP RAINING HERE!

#3 ·
Actually, change of plans. Instead of camping at Lake James, I think we're going to camp at South Mountains State Park. Supposed to be some trout fishing there, and it's only 45 minutes from the bike trails at Lake James.
Anyone ever do any trout fishing there?

#4 ·
NC Wildlife took down the DH stocking dates when the pandemic started but you can still find the dates doing a search. If the dates are still in place Mills, Curtis and Catawba in McDowell county were to be stocked October 5th. Now I don't know if they have changed the dates. These streams are within an hour drive of South Mountains. Jacob Fork in South Mountains SP was scheduled to be stocked on October 9th.

Delayed Harvest Regulations
• No trout may be harvested or possessed• Only artificial lures having one single hook may be used

Here is a link to the NCWC trout maps if you haven't looked at it
https://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Trout-Fishing-Maps

Good luck!

#7 ·
Appreciate that. Of course just about everything in that area is getting stocked AFTER I leave! Just my luck!

Maybe I'll just stay at Lake James like I had planned, fish for some cats. Leave the trout fishing for a later date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.