NC Angler Forums banner

Adams Creek Advice

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Scott Hobbs 
#1 ·
Hi NC crew,
I just moved Durham for work for the year (August 2020-July 2021), originally from Ohio where I fish for smallmouth bass and musky.
My wife and I are meeting my mother and a coupe of siblings to stay in a little house on Adam's Creek on the coast.
I have a 17' deep v tracker that I could bring if it's worth it, we do have a dock.

I don't care much what we catch, just to put some smiles on the faces of a couple of sisters and their husbands. Is mid-October a good time to fish this area? I have a ton of fishing experience, but non brackish or salt.

Not looking for specifics, just general advice :)

Thank you,
Pete

#2 ·
October has some of the best fishing of the year, especially for speckled sea trout. And Adams creek puts you in a good position to hit the creeks and sound area around Morehead City. You can also trailer to many other places. My best luck this time of year has come on Mirrolures (the MR-17s) and scented Z-Mann baits like the trout trick or sexy mullet.

#6 ·
What they said....

Just be aware Adams Creek is also the ICW (Intercoastal Waterway) and big boats travel thru from the Neuse River to Morehead area and vise versa, Barges also. So if you see something big coming, ease off the main channel and get in a creek...:)

Have fun and have life jackets for all in the boat. Have been out that way and seen a lonely boat heading our way, Marine Fisheries..game warden... came up, checked our fishing license and then proceed to check the boat jackets, horn, fire extinguisher... etc etc etc....

aint that right Trigger22....

#7 ·
And the “throwable device” must be readily available- not stuck in some bag or chest- out in the open, ready to go. I didn’t get a ticket because my was almost readily available and I took it out of hiding immediately. They wanted me to be in compliance, not make an enemy for the Coast Guard.
October and November are the reasons God created coastlines and creeks. Enjoy. Whitefish 115

#9 ·
Let us know how your trip turned out.

One other thing would be maps.... charted maps of the Lower Neuse River which part of Adams Creek is. See if you can download a Navionics charts to your phone or some type of free charts for that area. Running the ICW you have red or green markers by the channels.. so check them out and it will keep you high and dry.

#12 ·
Team,
Thanks again for all the advice!
You were right, huge boats going through there—wow.
The fishing was great thanks to your advice. Popping corks and gulp shrimp provided the most action, as my mom, sister, and wife had a blast with red drum, sheepshead, and spots.
Thanks again!
Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.