The Deadly Combo - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Deadly Combo

Funny you should mention the Deadly Combo - end of August I caught my first fish (a rat red) for that combo way back in a tight creek on the South River. That was my first saltwater popping cork fish. The very next morning I caught my PB old drum on a Blabbermouth/DOA airhead. That was also my first old drum on a popping cork. What a weekend! lol
    steven.brewster likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I use a vudu shrimp on mine , pink of course !!

If only I could put the topwater down! Nice video, just subscribed.
    ice cream man, and steven.brewster like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Tried a popping cork on Monday without any love.
    Had to fall back to my go to search bait topwater & landed this nice 20" Trout aka dinner.......ICM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Billy Trout.jpg‎
Views:	219
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	198149
    crabman00, and steven.brewster like this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

I admit this video has me planning to tie on the cork with a DOA or at least the vudu that I have!

I'd like an opinion on ICM's question though about using in a current. If the current is strong enough that shrimp often doesn't fall much (against current) or is going too fast if with the current.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    "...the days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations... I have really good days." - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Blog Entries

The area hes fishing rarely ever has a lot of current. But, when fishing areas with heavy current I prefer the DOA 2.75 over the regular DOA shrimp as it is heavier and sinks a little faster. The other alternative is to take the hook off of a regular DOA shrimp and put it on a jighead. It fishes really well this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Thank you for the video. Now I got to tie one back on, again.
    Something I observed in your video are you're not fishing strong currents. Do you think that matters?
    Do popping corks work better in calm or fast currents?
    What length rod is better for throwing a popping cork?
    Thanks ....ICM
    We fish them in strong current and no current and both ways catch fish. The cork rod on my yak is very versatile. I might use it to drift past fish holding in current, pop it on fish in slack water, or even just leave it sitting in rod holder and dragging behind me and all approaches catch fish. I like a rod with some backbone for the cork as it helps with casting, popping, and hook setting. A medium action rod with a fairly stiff tip is best in my opinion and as I may tie a leader as long as 4ft I like to have a rod that is 7ft or more.
    ice cream man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    The area he’s fishing rarely ever has a lot of current. But, when fishing areas with heavy current I prefer the DOA 2.75 over the regular DOA shrimp as it is heavier and sinks a little faster. The other alternative is to take the hook off of a regular DOA shrimp and put it on a jighead. It fishes really well this way.
    The zman trout eye jig head has been absolutely lethal for me this year when rigging with a DOA and they fit on perfectly and very tight so I'm not having to adjust the plastic every few casts.
    Mr. Wizard likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steven.brewster View Post
    The zman trout eye jig head has been absolutely lethal for me this year when rigging with a DOA and they fit on perfectly and very tight so I'm not having to adjust the plastic every few casts.
    Those are the exact jigheads Im using as well. I really like them.
    Mr. Wizard likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12