Peanut Bunker and Mud Minnow Questions

Thread: Peanut Bunker and Mud Minnow Questions

Default Peanut Bunker and Mud Minnow Questions

There have been large schools showing up in my small creek and one throw of the cast net catches dozens. So far caught 2 stripers hooking the pnut through the eyes and freelining with a split shot. How long can peanut bunker be kept alive in a round 35 gal. tank with circulating water, and the small live well in the boat? How do you hook and fish with them? Are they worth freezing?

Where do mud minnows go? (yeah I know, in the mud.) They were abundant earlier now seem to almost all be gone.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not sure how long they would stay alive but I would say not very long. They sure don't last in the bait bucket. I'd release the ones you dont use as live bait, personally. It's good fishing karma.
    philjam likes this.

I have 2 bait buckets that I hang off my dock for finger mullet and shrimp that I catch with a net. The mullet will last 2-3 days if they are not packed in. The shrimp will last longer. Mud minnows seem to last forever.
    crabman00, and philjam like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Peanut bunker aka menhaden...do not last long even in an aeriated live well. They just are not hardy creatures. If you had a big bait tank and plenty of fresh water circulating, they may last a day or night.
    crabman00, and philjam like this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Yeah, the old rule of thumb for ponies is you need a ga of water for each fish and the 12-24hour limit suggested is likely on the mark. Down our way, we have problems with otters raiding our bait buckets (they can open the screen door, even with a slide lock). So I take a couple of 5 ga buckets with tops, drill holes all the way around, starting about 4” or more from the bottom so when I lift it out of the water to grab some baits, there is still water for the fish while I take a minute to grab the bait and close the lid. I put holes in the lid as well and run a line through the top and the side of the bucket so the line doesn’t get lost. I put a bridle on the bucket and then run a line from the bridle to the cleat on the dock. Mullet minnows can last a while but they get a bit sickly after 3-4 days. Mud minnows last forever and shrimp can handle a week, or so it seems. Just don’t pack them in too tight. But silversides and ponies just don’t keep well.
    philjam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zebralips View Post
    Not sure how long they would stay alive but I would say not very long. They sure don't last in the bait bucket. I'd release the ones you dont use as live bait, personally. It's good fishing karma.
    To me, good fishing karma is eating the fish I catch....it then becomes part of magnificent me! I will however release them pending a taste test.

Thanks all for good information. My plan now is to put a few p'nuts in the circulating 35 gallon tank and monitor them, also deep fry some whole like the Japanese. There, tiny fish are fried up like potato chips and put out as crunchy bar snacks.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements