Thanksgiving week -cheoah,calderwood,santeelah,fontana - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving week -cheoah,calderwood,santeelah,fontana

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    ....Yes....I use a small flasher in front of the wiggle hoochie. Mack's Lures and Crystal Basin Tackle have everything you need. I do best with some custom ones I make....after that....chartreuse and pink. Some folks on here like the purple colors. I have Great Confidence in the wiggle hoochie and always have one in the water when trolling.....
    Purple is a good hoochie color in low light situations. The deeper you fish hoochies the better purple will fish. Purple is the color fish see best in dark water....blue is second to it. The bright colors are seen best in shallower situations with more light. Green is my leading color for Smallmouth strikes. Do the fish think they're tadpoles perhaps...??? I've done well for Trout using a variety of colors. I like purple in the early morn when the water is still dark. Later in the day other colors work better. The best purple pattern for me has been Shasta's Purple Splatter UV. I've found some hoochie bodies that are similar but bigger that seem to work at least as well. Really dark purple hasn't worked as well for me. Splatter patterns have worked well for me in other colors too.

If you don't know about Kokanee Tackle in Idaho, add them to your list of places work looking at.

My best green hoochie pattern is from P-Line's Sunrise Squid Skirts, Green Chartreuse Black Spot. They have them at Kokanee Tackle. They're 2.5" skirts. If I wanted 'em to be smaller, I'd just snip off a bit of the tail. I've been using them at full size.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hexagenia View Post
    The floating weeds are thick all the way past Parsons Branch. Save yourself the headache and fish Santeetlah and Fontana. Plenty of fish to be caught right now.
    I never got a Carolina permit this year. I was ill in the spring and then Co-Vid came along. At one point this spring the border was closed on U.S. 129 , my primary route to Carolina. I've only been fishing 6 times this year. Twice at Chilhowee and four times at Watauga. Chilhowee has yet to recover from the draw-down. Watauga isn't good this time of year for Lakers.

I may try Calderwood in the near future if I can get somebody to go with me. I'd buy a Carolina permit if I had somebody to go with me to Santeetlah or Fontana. My brother is working two jobs lately and doesn't fish with me as much as last year. I wanna go once or twice more before I park the boat for the winter.

I know it's really selfish, but I'll admit that I enjoyed the county closure a little bit. Turkey hunting all morning, trout fishing all afternoon, never seeing another person...

Santeetlah is tough to troll right now with all the floating leaves...yesterday they were spread all over the lake, not many clear areas. Trolled 5 lines for 2 hours yesterday and couldn't keep up with clearing leaves. Only caught 3 trout, lots of bass.
    I've been doing much better jigging and throwing jerk baits.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I know it's really selfish, but I'll admit that I enjoyed the county closure a little bit. Turkey hunting all morning, trout fishing all afternoon, never seeing another person...
    I know that feeling. I've had Calderwood all to myself a number of times. Santeetlah, no, not ever even close to alone but for an hour or two in the morning.

I might try fishing Calderwood next week. This week's flow maybe has washed the leaves clean a bit...??? Watching the water coming out of Santeetlah this week via Brookfield's's flow listings, it looked as if they sluiced a bit here and there. It's my impression that they release Santeetlah water to supplement Calderwood and Chilhowee's downstream generating. They're releasing 297 CFS into the Cheoah River right now. That makes their total flow out of Santeetlah right now at about 1100 CFS counting their generation into Cheoah Lake. 297 CFS is way above their regular, light flow. I've seen 'em jack it up to over 1000 CFS for a while.

I've made some new hoochies. I'm gonna try some new colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutgirl View Post
    It's my impression that they release Santeetlah water to supplement Calderwood and Chilhowee's downstream generating.
    I didn't realize they use Santeetlah to supplement down stream. I don't pay attention to Santeetlah's outflow on the website like I do Cheoah and Calderwood, but I do fish enough days each week to notice the drop in lake level. I just assumed they lowered the lake last week to make room for hurricane rain this week.
    There was all kinds of debris floating in the lake today, washed in yesterday...despite the stained water and leaves, the trout were fired up. They get in a mood around the full moon, so I'm probably done fishing till middle of next week. Havent fished hoochies since July, but it's getting to be that time of year. I have my best luck on them when I can run them above 20'. I've only been fishing them for a couple years, so I haven't figured out all the tricks like some of the folks on here. Good luck if you get over this way. I'm excited for the colder months ahead when Calderwood and Cheoah turn on.

I didn't realize they use Santeetlah to supplement down stream. I don't pay attention to Santeetlah's outflow on the website like I do Cheoah and Calderwood, but I do fish enough days each week to notice the drop in lake level. I just assumed they lowered the lake last week to make room for hurricane rain this week.
    There was all kinds of debris floating in the lake today, washed in yesterday...despite the stained water and leaves, the trout were fired up. They get in a mood around the full moon, so I'm probably done fishing till middle of next week. Havent fished hoochies since July, but it's getting to be that time of year. I have my best luck on them when I can run them above 20'. I've only been fishing them for a couple years, so I haven't figured out all the tricks like some of the folks on here. Good luck if you get over this way. I'm excited for the colder months ahead when Calderwood and Cheoah turn on.
    If you wanna do hoochies deep, go with purple splatter or blue splatter. They'll see those colors better in deeper, darker water. You'd think that the bright stuff would be easier to see and they are in shallower water. That's just how fish see. You might do better with a bigger flasher/dodger when running deeper. I've gotten good results using Mack's Double D , 4.4" Silver Dodger. They run well at lots of speeds. They have extra holes, 5 total, on the front. You can switch 'em out so they swing out from the boat a bit. Some of the little dodgers I use from Father Murphy and Crystal Basin don't always want to run very straight and veer towards other lines sometimes. I'm liking Mack's Double D more and more as I've fished them increasingly the past two seasons.

TVA is planning to release 10,000+ from Fontana come Tuesday this week. I suppose they wanna get caught up in dropping it for the winter. That's probably max generating on all three units...??? The little dams downstream will probably have to open some gates all or part of the day. I doubt Santeetlah can hold back water for long. I doubt it will open any gates....???

Cheoah Dam is reporting it's discharge at 12,103 CFS this afternoon. Can they generate that much at once? Or, do they have a gate open? Fontana is sluicing one tube. I presume that means one of their 3 generators is out of service...??? The 3,800 CFS coming out the tube is less than some past releases but still should look semi fantastic. It might have created some ice displays over night. I was up there a few years back when there was ice on the side where the tubes come out and there was what looked like snow on the other side of the river. Apparently, whilst being blown over there across the river, the droplets turned into flakes. The side of the ridge next to the dam looked like a snow machine had blown it for about 100 feet up. Earlier in the day before we got there that day, the road up to dam had been closed because everything was iced over.

I'm gonna fish Calderwood this weekend. We're still deciding between Saturday or Sunday. TVA is supposed to slow down their release after today. If they were gonna stay with the 10,000+ , 24-7 release I was gonna cancel. Maybe the last several days have gotten their Fontana draw-down back on schedule...???

Quote Originally Posted by Troutgirl View Post
    I'm gonna fish Calderwood this weekend. We're still deciding between Saturday or Sunday. TVA is supposed to slow down their release after today. If they were gonna stay with the 10,000+ , 24-7 release I was gonna cancel. Maybe the last several days have gotten their Fontana draw-down back on schedule...???
    I saw something last night that said the release was "until further notice"...i'm happy to hear it's almost over. Got out on Santeetlah today for the first time since the full moon, nothing but bass and whitebass. The trout were not where I left them. All fish ate a cop car needlefish off a dipsey 126 LOC. The other 4 lines didn't get a bump. Maybe I'll give Calderwood or Cheoah a try this weekend as well.

Fontana stopped sluicing today and it's release went down to about 6,600 CFS. I'm going tomorrow.

I look forward to hearing what you find. Good Luck.....D

how was calderwood fishing sun??? Can't wait to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    I look forward to hearing what you find. Good Luck.....D
    It was nice day to fish but the fish didn't cooperate much. All we caught was two little Rainbows. The top end was overrun with that stringy seaweed. The water was 61 degrees at the ramp. It ran 62-64 most of the day up and down the lake. That's way warmer than the long term average by a good 10 degrees. Maybe the fish were a bit lethargic due to how warm the water was? We only got two strikes.

We marked fish in the upper end. We marked many fish in the middle of the lake. That's where we caught our two fish. We changed lures quite a bit. It never seemed to help. Our strikes were on the smallest Mooselook Spoon and the smallest size Berkley Flicker Shad plug. We never got a strike on hoochies or the swimming crawler behind Mack's Flash Lite or a two blade Ford Fender cowbell rig. We finally gave up a bit past 3 P.M.

Fontana's fall releases have been rather warm the past several years. I've been talking to TWRA about this. They have been talking to TVA about it. TVA says that when they have to generate extra heavy that the warm water is getting mixed in with the deep, cold water. It's my opinion this is because Fontana is silted-in enough that there's less cold water than in the past. In the past, rarely, if ever, was Calderwood's water over 54 degrees. I've seen it over 60 several times in recent years. Last fall, downstream at Chilhowee Lake, the water was 67 top to bottom except up the Abrams Creek arm where we caught a few Rainbows and the water was in the 50's. Fontana 's relationship with it's downstream lakes seems to be changing...???

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg‎
Views:	107
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	198185 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0677.jpg‎
Views:	107
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	198187 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_0678.jpg‎
Views:	106
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	198189

Thank You for the Report! It sounds like the releases from Fontana have affected Calderwood and likely Cheoah. They might need a few weeks to recover. I will be in the area over Thanksgiving....as will Ry Roryl (Coach) and will post temps and results. I will fish at least (4) days on various lakes including Fontana and Santeetlah.....with the other days undecided.

Once again....the warming temperatures are worrisome. Last year was spectacular nonetheless....we shall see. Good Luck to all....D

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast