Thanksgiving week -cheoah,calderwood,santeelah,fontana - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thanksgiving week -cheoah,calderwood,santeelah,fontana

yup
    The wife and i are there for the week -fri 11/20 -fri 11/27 --then on to cherokee KOA fri am and sat all day to see some elk and bounce around the reservation's trout streams & ponds before we head out early sun back to Florida.

Can not wait.

good fishin

Coach

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

FWIW if you fish Santeetlah and use a recent Garmin unit, I've been mapping some of Santeetlah. Snowbird, W.Buffalo pretty much done. Some on Santeetlah, Ground Squirrel, and E. Buffalo and some selected spots. You'll need a free Garmin account and the maps are free. They're called QuickDraw Community. Someone else has also been doing some mapping on Santeetlah. It looks like a 2d transducer used while they were trolling. You can determine which ones I've done as generally mine are bank to bank on clean 1ft contours. I don't know how much of this I will keep doing. It would help if I could find a few walleye while doing it. I've had some luck at that but not much. connect.garmin.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	QuickDraw.jpg‎
Views:	36
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	198191
    loganwayne likes this.

My wife asks if I'm going to fish everyday. I can't fish everyday. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by LWinchester View Post
    FWIW if you fish Santeetlah and use a recent Garmin unit, I've been mapping some of Santeetlah. Snowbird, W.Buffalo pretty much done. Some on Santeetlah, Ground Squirrel, and E. Buffalo and some selected spots. You'll need a free Garmin account and the maps are free. They're called QuickDraw Community. Someone else has also been doing some mapping on Santeetlah. It looks like a 2d transducer used while they were trolling. You can determine which ones I've done as generally mine are bank to bank on clean 1ft contours. I don't know how much of this I will keep doing. It would help if I could find a few walleye while doing it. I've had some luck at that but not much. connect.garmin.com
    Ive graphed a bunch of the lake down towards the dam and the main channel. But Im using lowrance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

And just to make it a "full house".....I've been graphing Santeetlah for several years with Humminbird Autochart. The pic is of a flat area that drops from 15 ft into 80 plus ft. I have caught trout there consistently for the last two years. The flags show the most recent trip (Dec. 2019) and represent Trout Strikes while trolling. You would never know from the shoreline that this area existed.

I have also found that Mapping....which I enjoy....is a double edged sword. You can get lost trying to figure where the "fish should be". I've learned to stop telling them where they should be....and concentrate more on just locating them. I then graph and sidescan the spot to try and learn more. Sidescanning revealed some rocks in this area and no trees. For whatever reason....the Trout Love it! But....I still don't know why? I look forward to seeing if they are still there in a couple of weeks.

Water Temps and Weather will likely determine what happens....but, they were there two years in row in November and December. I will let you guys know what I find. Best of Luck....D

Name:	Santeetlah Flats.jpg‎
Views:	111
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	198193

I've been reading about the Jay Fair Trolling Flies and his trolling lines too over at Arctic Fox's website. Jay Fair is deceased but Arctic Fox continues to sell his trolling flies that look a bit like colorful woolyworm patterns to me. What I've found very interesting is the two packets of preassembled trolling line to fish the Jay Fair system. They both have braid backing. The shallow system line has floating (mono ?) line and then one half color of 18 pound leadcore line and then the leader. The deep system has regular line that sinks and then 3 colors of leadcore before the leader. This had me thinking if some variants of these rigs might be a good way to fish hoochies or trolling flies in winter when the Trout get really shallow.

I made myself a 4 color leadcore rig specifically to fish shallow Chilhowee Lake with mainly hoochies but sometimes other stuff. If I fished in the dead of winter, I think I'd make myself a variant of the Jay Fair lines. I might do one or one and a half colors of 12 or 15 pound leadcore line to fish hoochies shallow. For ya'all that are gonna fish in winter, a shallow leadcore set-up might be just the ticket...? I've caught Trout and Smallmouth in Chilhowee running a relatively heavy 4" flasher keeping my hoochie just underwater, no leadcore or downrigger, when the fish were on the top chasing. One or two colors might be just the ticket...??? I think I'd try this with no flasher in front of the hoochie.

The learning curve is Constant. I have a dozen Beautiful Trolling Flies that I've never even bothered to use (sad?). It sounds like the Jay Fair rig uses lead core basically as a "weight" ? I will be using lead core only next week......for Trout Trolling. Last year I simply flatlined at different lengths of 50-100 ft to control depth.....easy peasy.

At one point last year I was coasting with the motor idling and talking to another boat that was asking for information on what I was doing. I had about 15-20 ft of line out. I shared a few things with them ....showed them a hoochie and put the boat in gear to head back into my trolling pattern and was about to start letting my line out. An 18 inch Rainbow slammed my hoochie right in the prop wash and scared the crap out of me. I had laid the rod down....and it was bouncing all over the place making a loud racket! I landed him while they watched....and just shrugged. I never expected that and it was just dumb luck. It just goes to show that the length of line you have out may or may not matter, depending on the day. I was in about 20 ft of water and heading deeper.

Troutgirl, you mentioned the "Double D" dodger earlier. I started using them last December. They basically eliminate the need for planer boards on my boat ....Simple....Love It!. I also started playing around with different "bends" in the dodger to change the action. I have many, many new things to try....including Walleye rigs. Coach should already be up there. Anyone else out and about during Thanksgiving Week ....be sure to say Hello. Good Fishing to All....D

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    .....At one point last year I was coasting with the motor idling and talking to another boat that was asking for information on what I was doing. I had about 15-20 ft of line out. I shared a few things with them ....showed them a hoochie and put the boat in gear to head back into my trolling pattern and was about to start letting my line out. An 18 inch Rainbow slammed my hoochie right in the prop wash and scared the crap out of me. I had laid the rod down....and it was bouncing all over the place making a loud racket! I landed him while they watched....and just shrugged. I never expected that and it was just dumb luck. It just goes to show that the length of line you have out may or may not matter, depending on the day. I was in about 20 ft of water and heading deeper.....

It can be crazier than that. On two occasions I've seen Bass jump out of the water to get a bait or lure. When I was a teenager, I was just finishing a cast into a cove on Watts Bar Lake. I was throwing a Heddon Top Secret plug. As I was lifting it up out of the water a 14" Largemouth jumped for it, hooked itself, and I swung it over the bank.

I was on a float trip on the Nolichucky River. We caught Hellgrammites, Grampas, for bait. We caught most of the fish in the shoals. I was in the front of the canoe and this is what I saw out of the corner of my eye. The guy behind me, his rod was leaning over the side of the boat. It was baited and the Hellgrammite was hanging about 15 inches above the water. A 17" Smallmouth jumped up for the Hellgrammite, hooked itself and my buddy grabbed his rod just in time to prevent it being pulled out of the boat. He lifted that fish right into the boat.

I wish I could fish this coming week but I have an important doctor's appointment on Wednesday. Maybe I'll get to try shallow hoochie fishing before I put my boat up for the winter. I'm gonna put a new leader on my four color lead outfit. I'll make it about 160 feet long and then I'll fish one to two colors out. I think I'll try it without a flasher to start. If I go to a flasher, I'll use the Father Murphy mini dodger. It's the lightest flasher or dodger that I've ever used. I think that they're made out of aluminum. They're so light that they don't add much sink to your line. They became a favorite of mine when I was developing my leadcore techniques in shallow Chilhowee Lake. I got snagged more often using the heavier flashers/dodgers.

Chilhowee Lake taught me to avoid getting leadcore rigs snagged, get longer leaders and put less lead in the water. I liked fishing the hoochies about 190-220 feet behind the boat. When I was rigging for Chilhowee I started using leaders in the 90-120 foot range. 50 feet might be the standard leader length but longer has worked very well for me in relatively shallow conditions, like Chilhowee Lake and the upper end of Calderwood.

I really like fishing leadcore at Watauga! No matter how much lead I put out and how much dive is in the plug, I almost never get snagged as long as I stay in the channel.....and I've caught most of my biggest Lakers and Rainbows on plugs running at about 40-75 feet. I have to go deeper as the year proceeds into the hot season when I'll put out 7-9 colors with plugs that can add another 15-30 feet of dive.

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg‎
Views:	49
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	198199

I hope that the lot of ya'all are all out fishing. I hope I will be able to go again by spring. I'll be having a serious heart operation in the not too distant future. Happy Thanksgiving to the fish and the fishermen!

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123