NC Angler Forums banner

Fish and Camp Destinations

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  BigMac 
#1 ·
What are some fish and camp type destinations in eastern NC or SC? Looking for (ideally) a campground with tent spots AND a boat launch, but also open to non-campground locations we could setup a primative tent camp and launch the boat nearby. Would either be pulling my Intruder skiff, or powered canoe. Inshore/creek/marsh fishing ideally, but would also even consider good freshwater locations. Just looking for some places to go with my kids, get away for the weekends. The further off the beaten path (away from RV's), the better!

Thanks!

#7 ·
Lake Phelps adjoins Pettigrew State Park, which has a small campground with 13 sites and a pretty nice bath house. The lake is ideal for kayaks and canoes, and has a great largemouth bass population. On a calm day the lake is gin clear, but this is the second largest natural lake in the state and if the wind gets up out of the south the north side of the lake will be very rough.

#9 ·
Yeah, we are not far from there, being in MHC. However, I prefer to setup camp on the vehicle side of things. Truth be told, I am looking for spots for my son and I, that we may never even have to pop a tent, simply sleep in the back of an SUV. My ideal thought here is fish all day Saturday, get back to ramp at dark, eat something quick/have a fire if possible for a bit and go to sleep dead tired (in the back of the SUV ideally). Wake up, fish the morning, then head home. Not a full "camping" experience, by any means, but some memorable trips, hopefully.

#11 ·
I am actually buying a home on the Neuse at Pamlico sound. I will have two slips and am right next door to a hunting and fishing guide. It's a stones throw from Oriental. RV connection outside as well. I do plan on renting this out starting next year to offset some costs as I am not quite to retirement yet. PM me if your interested.

#13 ·
If you can do without the "camp fire", I have fished on the "ocean piers" and retired to the back on the truck in the parking lot many times. You can make sandwiches or eat at the pier or close diners. A very low maintenance trip, fish when you feel like fishing, eat when you feel like eating, sleep when you feel like sleeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.