Advice needed, OKI/Yaupon Reef

Thread: Advice needed, OKI/Yaupon Reef

Default Advice needed, OKI/Yaupon Reef

Hey Guys,

This weekend my wife and I are headed to Oak Island for the first time. Just looking for a little info on Yaupon Reef. I thought about trying a little reef fishing and searched the old posts.
    So far I have found
    North wind helps lay down the waves
    Use the wildlife ramp at OKI and use the cape fear inlet

My boat is rather small, 172 Scout Sportfish with 90hp yamaha ,Minnkota GPS trolling motor

Im used to fishing marsh and back water but thought about trying something different.
    Any advice as far as conditions?

Dont go out if wind is from "direction at this speed"
    Best tide to go out and come in from?
    Watch out for...

Any advice would be apprecated.
    Thanks
    Mickey
    Red X Angler

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

SW wind= BAD, especially on an outbound tide. If you can, use the west bar cut at the tip of Fort Caswell (the Baptist retreat)and do NOT try to cut the shoals, also BAD.

Good Info, thanks. Depending on how it is in the creeks, I may just stay inside
    Red X Angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Dear GL, Mad Duck is on the money. In addition to the ocean, you need to worry about the Cape Fear River. SW winds are the prevaiing winds and from the reefs to Southport around the corner of Ft. Caswell means heading NE, so a SW wind will be behind you. If the tide is running out hard, the tide and the current will make for a fun ride. But I often used LF Inlet with my 18' center console and going around Caswell was my ace in the hole should the LF inlet be too nasty. Just keep an eye on conditions. On a N wind you may have slick water all the way out to the reef, but if the tide is heading out of the River, there will be sections of roughness coming in. A E wind is not a favorite. It can make the reef a bit bumpy, especially on an incoming tide. Over the years, there have been many small jon boats on the reefs (none with me in them) but when the winds and tides are right, it is a lovely place to be. When in doubt, take a peak and go if it looks OK but don't hesitate to turn around if it looks like it is or is going to be bad. As for LF inlet, they are getting ready to dredge it again so I would be very cautious using it. I've been a bit under the weather so haven't been down to take a look recently. This is getting to be a wonderful time to be on the water with a fishing rod. Whtiefish 115

Thanks for the info guys, we made it out a few calm days. The sunrise was beautiful, followed a crew of boats out of the cape fear and left at lunch(wind change). Laid onto some Spanish, false albacore and a few sharks. Being my first trip to OKI/yaupon reef I was not prepared with wire leaders. But with 3 trips out we got 1 6.8 citation Spanish and 10 others in the 3 to 5lb range. Great trip/experience and I will be better prepared for the toothy critters.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	B54D8BF0-A3ED-4F16-B858-10C91B8F3C08_1604090525442.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	198161Click image for larger version.

Name:	BAE7F2BE-F02A-4733-8C38-6597C1BBB344_1604090547724.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	198163Click image for larger version.

Name:	F261B6AA-E440-4E73-B508-CF0AB8FCD50D_1604090860321.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	198165
    ice cream man likes this.

Red X Angler

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements