New River creeks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New River creeks

Default New River creeks

Went out yesterday on the New River in search of the mighty trout bite that has so far 100% eluded me. That’s a frustrating report I’ll save for another time. In the meantime, yesterday was pretty cool. Throwing mirror lures and a popping cork in a place I thought the trout would be hanging out, I have two large balls of bait come up into the top half of the water column all around my boat. As I noticed them, my mirror lure, that had been simply soaking for what felt like forever, took off. Because I want trout, it wasn’t a trout, but a 19 in drum. I took a pause and thought about what was happening; bait balls, slow sinking bait, drum. So, I tossed the mirror lure back out, let it soak, and also threw in a pooping cork with about a 2ft lead. Those two lines...as long as I stayed on those bait balls, were tight all morning. Every drum was slot (one of them became tacos last night). I was by myself and was ecstatic about the bite so I didn’t take time for any pics....plus....I normally don’t do the pic thing. Point of the story? I fish a lot, and yesterday was one of the funnest days on the water I’ve had in a long time. New River, creeks, out going moving tide, slow sinking bait.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Remember the tide....times....apply it all up and down the river. What is a 4 oclock bite today with be a 5 oclock bite tomorrow.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    Remember the tide....times....apply it all up and down the river. What is a 4 oclock bite today with be a 5 oclock bite tomorrow.
    Indeed man...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jason.glew View Post
    Went out yesterday on the New River in search of the mighty trout bite that has so far 100% eluded me. Thatís a frustrating report Iíll save for another time. In the meantime, yesterday was pretty cool. Throwing mirror lures and a popping cork in a place I thought the trout would be hanging out, I have two large balls of bait come up into the top half of the water column all around my boat. As I noticed them, my mirror lure, that had been simply soaking for what felt like forever, took off. Because I want trout, it wasnít a trout, but a 19 in drum. I took a pause and thought about what was happening; bait balls, slow sinking bait, drum. So, I tossed the mirror lure back out, let it soak, and also threw in a pooping cork with about a 2ft lead. Those two lines...as long as I stayed on those bait balls, were tight all morning. Every drum was slot (one of them became tacos last night). I was by myself and was ecstatic about the bite so I didnít take time for any pics....plus....I normally donít do the pic thing. Point of the story? I fish a lot, and yesterday was one of the funnest days on the water Iíve had in a long time. New River, creeks, out going moving tide, slow sinking bait.
    Thanks for the info, as I fish New River inlet all the time. I just bought a 17 ft whaler. Im installing my garmin this weekend. Getting my trolling motor installed next week. So, I'll be in the creeks soon.

Sent from my Mediatek MT8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk
    drjon, Saltwater Republic, and Woffski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Smokey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jason.glew View Post
    Went out yesterday on the New River in search of the mighty trout bite that has so far 100% eluded me. That’s a frustrating report I’ll save for another time. In the meantime, yesterday was pretty cool. Throwing mirror lures and a popping cork in a place I thought the trout would be hanging out, I have two large balls of bait come up into the top half of the water column all around my boat. As I noticed them, my mirror lure, that had been simply soaking for what felt like forever, took off. Because I want trout, it wasn’t a trout, but a 19 in drum. I took a pause and thought about what was happening; bait balls, slow sinking bait, drum. So, I tossed the mirror lure back out, let it soak, and also threw in a pooping cork with about a 2ft lead. Those two lines...as long as I stayed on those bait balls, were tight all morning. Every drum was slot (one of them became tacos last night). I was by myself and was ecstatic about the bite so I didn’t take time for any pics....plus....I normally don’t do the pic thing. Point of the story? I fish a lot, and yesterday was one of the funnest days on the water I’ve had in a long time. New River, creeks, out going moving tide, slow sinking bait.
    Thanks for the info, as I fish New River inlet all the time. I just bought a 17 ft whaler. Im installing my garmin this weekend. Getting my trolling motor installed next week. So, I'll be in the creeks soon.

Sent from my Mediatek MT8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk
    Nice! I’ve considered a whaler. Enjoy man!!

Seems as the trout reports from New River around Jacksonville are slower coming in this year,are u hearing of any good reports of any being caught in the upper river

Quote Originally Posted by tmb58 View Post
    Seems as the trout reports from New River around Jacksonville are slower coming in this year,are u hearing of any good reports of any being caught in the upper river
    Still hit and miss according to my neighbor who runs charters. Some days they limit in an hour, some days they have one bite all day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

im looking to go out on the river saturday and will put in downtown jacksonville. would my best bet be to go towards frenchs creek/stones bay or stay around southwest/northeast creek?

Quote Originally Posted by Gopirates11 View Post
    im looking to go out on the river saturday and will put in downtown jacksonville. would my best bet be to go towards frenchs creek/stones bay or stay around southwest/northeast creek?
    Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by tmb58 View Post
    I’m not; but I also haven’t been at the boat ramp for a little over a week. I’ve seen great trout pulled from more inshore water (ICW close). I’m sure they’re up here on the NR...I just suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gopirates11 View Post
    There is a tourney Saturday so wherever you go you will have plenty of company.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I’ll shoot up and fish for LMB then.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven.brewster View Post
    There is a tourney Saturday so wherever you go you will have plenty of company.
    of course. maybe i can go down to swansboro then. i saw there are three launch locations, swansboro sneads ferry and jacksonville. i would assume most would fish further down in sneads ferry and swansboro? hopefully the ramp isnt too packed in the morning

I went up to frenchs creek and then hit southwest creek on the way back in yesterday. we did not get one hit all morning and tried various lures and even live menhaden that we caught in the cast net. there were several boats in both creeks but it wasn't overly crowded but even then i did not see any of those boats having success either. I was more surprised by the lack of bite from the reds

The cold spell last week pushed the trout up in the creeks near the ICW for a few days. Caught 4 over 20 inches in an hour last Friday. Sunday, fished 6 hours and caught 1 trout and a small flounder. So, still hit and miss.

Saltwater Republic likes this.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast