Neuse River Hazards

Thread: Neuse River Hazards

Default Neuse River Hazards

Hi all,

All my friends / club members tell me that running up the Neuse is sketchy because of underwater obstructions, even in the main channel. I was wondering if it was clear from Maple Cypress to anywhere down river. Otherwise what's the best way to figure out where these obstructions exist?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There's a few hazards just upstream from the 43 bridge and then a few as you get near Hatteras. The channel is pretty clearly marked near Hatteras though. I've never (knock on wood) hit any hazards in the main river. I will say if the water is low, that will certainly increase the chance. I've only been to MC once, but there was a lot of logs up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by panfish jack View Post
    There's a few hazards just upstream from the 43 bridge and then a few as you get near Hatteras. The channel is pretty clearly marked near Hatteras though. I've never (knock on wood) hit any hazards in the main river. I will say if the water is low, that will certainly increase the chance. I've only been to MC once, but there was a lot of logs up that way.
    Thanks, I heard there were unmarked civil war pylons up towards contentnea above maple cypress, which scares the bejeezus out of me. Luckily I'm looking to fish downstream of Maple Cypress hence the question.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    Thanks, I heard there were unmarked civil war pylons up towards contentnea above maple cypress, which scares the bejeezus out of me. Luckily I'm looking to fish downstream of Maple Cypress hence the question.
    there is a "set of those broken off pylons beklow maple Cypress as well. 1 set I know of....north side of river near village creek.
    the other one i know if is just above maple cypress ..........best thing to do is get in a small jon and run the river when really low during the summer but it did not get really low this summer.
    Mowhawk pack , coleman scanoe, OT 158, 2 OT 119's,
    1232 Jon Boat, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140, Ascend 12T

deleted........................

The Neuse right now is high enough to not worry about the pilling. Stay mid river and run. Once you pass Core Cree and Pitchkettle Creeks it a wide open run to New Bern. Use to be a log mid river right where Turkey Quarter Creek branches off...great crappie fishing when it got cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hobbs View Post
    The Neuse right now is high enough to not worry about the pilling. Stay mid river and run. Once you pass Core Cree and Pitchkettle Creeks it a wide open run to New Bern. Use to be a log mid river right where Turkey Quarter Creek branches off...great crappie fishing when it got cooler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply! So I'm guessing that log doesn't exist anymore?

You mentioned the river level is high enough to not worry. The gauge at Kinston reads 6.61 feet right now. At what level should people be cautious?

My brother and I have launched from maple cypress often the past few months; have always gone down river (towards NB). Have made short runs and have also ran all the way to NB from maple cypress. We haven’t hit anything YET. We’ve just stayed in the middle if there were no markers. Closer to NB...we just hugged the markers. Because it’s always moving, that river always has me on edge. But I accept the risk; the fishing is good...

Quote Originally Posted by jason.glew View Post
    My brother and I have launched from maple cypress often the past few months; have always gone down river (towards NB). Have made short runs and have also ran all the way to NB from maple cypress. We haven’t hit anything YET. We’ve just stayed in the middle if there were no markers. Closer to NB...we just hugged the markers. Because it’s always moving, that river always has me on edge. But I accept the risk; the fishing is good...
    Like Mr Hobbs said it is high enough now not to worry about the pilings but the pilings just above and below Maple Cypress are on the North Bank.

you can see the pilings in this pic.this pic was taken maybe 12-13 years ago and this is just above maple cypress. the one Below MC looks the same. they come out from the bank in a curve then straighten up....they used to be taller and had boards on them and boats/barges would pull in behind them.

Just think of the hazard these are when the water is 6 inches higher than this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0024.JPG‎ 
Views:	241 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	198175  

Oh wow, thank you guys so much for the info!

Seems like the main areas I should watch out for are just south of Maple Cypress, stay near the middle. Around village creek I should stay right facing downstream. And around core I should also stay right facing downstream (or stay on the south bank).

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements