11-21-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Old Reedy Creek Rd, Booker Creek @ Eastgate

Thread: 11-21-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Old Reedy Creek Rd, Booker Creek @ Eastgate

Default 11-21-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Old Reedy Creek Rd, Booker Creek @ Eastgate

Today I drove over to Wake County to take a stab at fishing in Crabtree Creek a bit. Parked near the Town of Cary ORC trailhead and fished between the Lake Crabtree spillway and the I-40 bridge over Crabtree Creek. Mostly focused on trying to land some catfish, using a bottom-fishing rig and frozen shrimp as bait. I got a lot of action in terms of *something* pulling on and messing with my line, but could not connect with anything. Probably bluegill or some other little bait thieves. I also tried that Berkley Powerbait Catfish bait stuff, and was not impressed. Now y'all know I'm generally a fan of Berkley products, so I'm predisposed to like their stuff. But this stuff had one fatal (IMO) short-coming... it just plain doesn't stay on the hook worth a shoot. And what good is bait if you can't get it stay on the daggum hook? Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but as of right now, it's not on my list of preferred baits to use again.

Anyway... after that, I headed back to Chapel Hill and went back to my customary spot behind Eastgate Plaza to see if I could pull anything interesting out of Booker Creek. Used the same basic setup, except I switched to circle hooks. And on my first cast, I pulled in what I believe to be a Redfin Pickerel, which would be a new species for me if I'm correct. If anybody can confirm or reject this identification theory, it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
    finstalker likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm sure no authority but it looks like photos and drawings of redfin. Some photos I have seen show a thin white line from the gill plate to the caudal fin. I don't see that but it certainly looks like one. Pretty fish.
    mindcrime likes this.

Nice! I've always wanted to catch a pickerel. Thats a neat looking fish.
    mindcrime likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bertboy90 View Post
    Nice! I've always wanted to catch a pickerel. Thats a neat looking fish.
    I've managed two so far. Caught one Chain Pickerel in New Hope Creek earlier this year, and then this Redfin here. One species I still have yet to catch is a Bowfin, so hoping for one of those at some point...

Quote Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
    I've managed two so far. Caught one Chain Pickerel in New Hope Creek earlier this year, and then this Redfin here. One species I still have yet to catch is a Bowfin, so hoping for one of those at some point...
    I always enjoy your posts. That looks like a redfin pickerel, neat catch. Be careful what you wish for. Bowfin will make a mess of your tackle; they like to roll and roll when they get boatside, and I have had to retire many a terminal rig because they demolished it.

Keep at it, hope you catch 'em up!
    mindcrime likes this.

- Sam
    "Things are only impossible until they're not!"

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements