NC Angler Forums banner

11-21-2020 - Crabtree Creek @ Old Reedy Creek Rd, Booker Creek @ Eastgate

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SurfRider 
#1 ·
Today I drove over to Wake County to take a stab at fishing in Crabtree Creek a bit. Parked near the Town of Cary ORC trailhead and fished between the Lake Crabtree spillway and the I-40 bridge over Crabtree Creek. Mostly focused on trying to land some catfish, using a bottom-fishing rig and frozen shrimp as bait. I got a lot of action in terms of *something* pulling on and messing with my line, but could not connect with anything. Probably bluegill or some other little bait thieves. I also tried that Berkley Powerbait Catfish bait stuff, and was not impressed. Now y'all know I'm generally a fan of Berkley products, so I'm predisposed to like their stuff. But this stuff had one fatal (IMO) short-coming... it just plain doesn't stay on the hook worth a shoot. And what good is bait if you can't get it stay on the daggum hook? Maybe I'm just using it wrong, but as of right now, it's not on my list of preferred baits to use again.

Anyway... after that, I headed back to Chapel Hill and went back to my customary spot behind Eastgate Plaza to see if I could pull anything interesting out of Booker Creek. Used the same basic setup, except I switched to circle hooks. And on my first cast, I pulled in what I believe to be a Redfin Pickerel, which would be a new species for me if I'm correct. If anybody can confirm or reject this identification theory, it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.