Falls lake-where are the bass

Thread: Falls lake-where are the bass

Default Falls lake-where are the bass

I've not done much late fall/winter fishing but decided to go to falls lake Monday. Boy did it get windy. I wanted to fish the stump fields on ledge creek but the wind was blowing across the flat and down the cove and made it hard to cast and fish in the chop. Decided to duck over to the far bank and tried a point on a cove. Saw a fish splash up shallow and fired one off and bam he took it. Got him shallow in the weeds. No other takers in the cove.

Tried the main lake and had no luck. Moved up shallow and saw occasional bass jumping. Here's my question. What do you do when bass are jumping around you? Is that a sign you are in the right place? Do bass come up and splash to get a closer look at something? Sounds like a dumb question.

All told it was a nice time on the lake. Falls is a big lake to fish from a kayak but I live how quiet it gets on the bigger water...outside of wake board season anyhow.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would ask if you know for certain that they were largemouth that were jumping and not some other species. I’ve wasted plenty of time in the past thinking I was around the target species when I wasn’t.

All that said, bite has been awfully tough everywhere for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. Im not 100% sure. I think they were. W hen started fishing i spent a while morning chasing spawning "bass" that turned out 5o be carp... gotcha. Well you know the old saying, better on the water than at work.
    BrandonK, and srsykes like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good chance that you may have seen white bass jumping up in the shallows. Atleast that is what I have experienced on Falls Lake

Ahhhhh i forgot about them. That may have been the case. That would make sense.

That lake thoroughly sucks in the fall. I know it well and have been fishing it for 30 years and even during the glory days it was always terrible in the fall and winter. As someone else said it was probably white bass. It has quite a few in it although they have eluded me the last couple of years. Being that you were in that part of the lake it could have also been carp though, there are tons of them up there.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements