NC Angler Forums banner

New River Smallmouth Save the Date

RED X 
9K views 62 replies 10 participants last post by  Chris52 
#1 ·
August 6,7,8. Reserve your site now and don’t forget your rain gear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
The days of getting a campsite easily a few months ahead of time are gone. Covid has made a positive impact on the RV industry people are buying campers more than ever. 2 of my favorite campgrounds are close to 60 percent booked for next year. I planned on going to OBX in February but no way I’m paying $139 a night for a campsite that use to be less than half of that. Bay River falls into my not going to pay $60 a night that was $40 last time we attended the meet.

I appreciate John posting the New River date already so everyone should be able to secure a site.

#8 ·
Well you’re not off by much. My birthday is 2 days after Christmas. I used to hate that as I’d get ripped off as my folks barely had money for Christmas presents (which were mostly clothes and necessary items). Now I like my birth date as nobody notices I started fishing from The Ark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
You in the right spot? Most sites are in the 20's and low 30's.... Maybe the car campground, I don't know their numbering

#15 ·
It looks like my best friends from my Army time in Germany want make the New River trip. One is coming from Pensacola Florida and the other from Arizona. I don’t want to make a reservation for them yet because it’s not 100% guarantee they will make it this far in advance. I’m hoping that the RedX group will be able to help accommodate my friends in case it’s needed. Also if anyone has an extra kayak that would be appreciated or I can rent one from Dustin. I have 2 myself.

#21 ·
76 days to our next get together is way to long. Someone needs to host a another get together for those of us who are addicted to the Red X fellowship. New River currently has 2 tent sites available for the August meet. You are out of luck if you are looking for a camper site all booked up on the hill.

#23 ·
A one day get together with some bank fishing and a cookout on a grill would work for me. If we do bank fishing it would allow more fellowship like Fort Fisher. Picking a spot that is convenient for Donnie and Bob would be a good idea since they would have a longer drive than those of use up here. Darrell might have a idea for some stream fishing that would work for firing up a grill if driving is not a problem. I’m good for anywhere even down Donnies way if he has a place in mind.

#29 ·
Hey all - I am back in a cast, and it is looking very iffy as to whether I will be able to attend the Red X M&G on the New river next month.

Below 50/50 chance of making it.

Just checking to see if anyone wants my camp site before I let it go... I will make my decision in a week or so, but camp sites are hard to find, and would much prefer it going to a Red X guy. It is, IMO, the premium site... closest to parking lot, and directly across from bath house, with a nice, level tent site.

Let me know... Site 21 ... Thurs - Sun... $78.

#32 ·
Still on the fence on what to bring. I might go with CAJUN STYLE ANDOUILLE and some PINEAPPLE & BACON CHICKEN & APPLE Aidells on hoagie rolls. The Cajun Style is for you Guffy. Will need some space on a grill if someone has it.

#36 ·
Here’s John’s FB post, not sure when last updated, but I’ll be +4.

It's a Royal pain posting the same information on 2 sites but that's what I will be doing. We are less than 3 weeks out from this seasons New River Smallmouth Trip, Anarchy Edition. I'm posting a list of attendees below. IF I MISSED YOU OR IF YOU HAVE EXTRA PADDLERS WITH YOU THAT ARE NOT LISTED PLEASE POST YOUR UPDATE. IF YOU ARE NOT ATTENDING AND I LIST YOU PLEASE POST THAT. No need to post anything if a non paddler is coming with you (eg., Girlfriend, Wife, both, boyfriend, whatever). This is important as I want to give Dustin a head count for ferry services both Saturday and Sunday. I'll get to the details of that after the list.

MWagner
Yadnewyaker +1
Big LenR
Grey Ghost (non paddler)
Guffy
EvBlue
Daze823 +1
OKSt.
jlzorn5
Discover17 +3 yaks I think
JScott + Zach
Jonathan Creason
Fanopoe
Blind Squirrel +1
Froggy Waters
Plowboy +1
Agger
Dbeam
Raymond Wells (Ditto)
Lostnwilderness (who apparently has gotten lost again)
Masha (pending accomodations)
Gene +3

While the country is facing challenging times we will plan for a standard classic event. Friday August 14 there is a Secret Friday float that never happens. Drop your yak off at the Bill Bledsoe Road spot where Roan Creek dumps into the river. Drive your vehicle back up Bill Bledsoe to the Wagoners Access parking lot. I or someone else should be around to take you back to your yak. Be there no later than 11 if you want me to shuttle you back as that's when I will put in and catch all the fish you earlybirds missed. DO NOT leave your vehicle at the put in.

Saturday we will put in at the 221 Access and float about 6 miles to Dustin (Dusty Trails Outfitters) dad's place. For you old time attendees it's just below where we used to take out at Ed's. I will have a Red X flag on a tall pole to mark the spot (river left just past Prathers Creek downstream of the rocks).

Sunday Dustin will come to 221 at 7:30 AM and haul us up to the Fulton Reeves Rd bridge for the short but productive float (@1 1\2 -2 miles). This gives everyone time to load up and get home.

ANY OTHER FLOATS besides these you need to make your own arrangements. The Judge is aware of certain n'er do wells who prefish on Thursday. I will be up there then to ensure no ethical breaches occur.

Please remember to bring a lure or 3 or related fishing equipment for the Saturday big fish competition awards ceremony. I will have the Yeti bucket on my site (28) to deposit them. The Yeti bucket (a gift) has not been used since the last event. Quite impractical and I'm not into the whole Yeti flaunting. But it's good for this purpose. I'll post the tournament rules in September.

The park site does not list any limit on crowd sizes. If that's the case we will have our Saturday group meal at the largest site. Bring a dish for the meal. Alcohol is not permitted but solo cups are. Be discreet with dispensing. Also they ask that you buy firewood on site. I will have a small amount stashed in my truck for late night purposes if needed. 10PM is quiet time.

#40 ·
Hey - My son Jacob will be taking my site and slot on Friday and Sat nights. He will do the floats both Sat and Sunday, I will ensure he has the cash to pay Dustin. I will TRY to ensure that he has enough food to not eat every leftover in the campground.

I am SO close to being healthy... Out of my cast today. But DR tells me to avoid anything strenuous for a month, and I am terrified enough of a relapse that I will follow his instructions.

Cancelling thursday night

#42 ·
My cousin is showing interest in camping and is now attending with my uncle. Also my buddy Sloan is coming with me so they need to be added to list.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daze823
#48 ·
Ted, me and my buddies are going to go out to Motleys either Thu or Fri (looks like Shatley is only doing lunch now), so if you want to go Thursday, we’d be down for that after we set camp.. We should be getting there around 3 or 4 on Thursday..

#49 ·
Motleys on Thursday sounds fine to us. I wasn’t planning on cooking but since shatley is only open for lunch I will cook Linda something. Been thinking of doing a Philly Cheese steak for awhile now. Might as well serve it up Friday evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.