Inshore Inshore first-timer

Thread: Inshore first-timer

Default Inshore first-timer

Getting a bit bored with bass fishing, and the bite has been tough. I was hoping for a couple tips to help put me on some trout/redfish/stripers/whatever else is biting this time of year. I知 not looking for honey holes or anything, just have never fished salt and would like to get the kayak out there and catch and release a few fish. I知 in Clayton, so it looks like I知 just about equal drive time from Washington, New Bern, or Wilmington areas. I have researched lures and how to fish the tides, but kinda just looking for a general area that may up my chances

Any help is appreciated,

Brandon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I personally like the Belhaven, Bath, Aurora area. Pungo creek in Belhaven would be a good bet as well as Campbell creek in Aurora. This area is all wind driven tide. Both places should hold fish this time of year but somedays you will have to work much harder than others.
    BrandonK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outcast19v View Post
    I personally like the Belhaven, Bath, Aurora area. Pungo creek in Belhaven would be a good bet as well as Campbell creek in Aurora. This area is all wind driven tide. Both places should hold fish this time of year but somedays you will have to work much harder than others.
    What Outcast said—I have fished all of those areas recently. Be sure to have a couple of MR17s in different colors, but be sure they have a splash of yellow on them. Popping corks with 1/8 oz jigheads and Gulp or ZMan baits, or a DOA shrimp. Yesterday water temps (Pam River and creeks) was 59 in river and 60 in creeks, so no clear winter pattern yet. But rock, flounder, and trout were all caught using persistence.

Good Luck! Let us know how you make out.
    BrandonK likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

May also look at Ft Fisher boat ramp area. Lot of back waters to chase reds and trout.
    fort-fisher-park-map.pdf
    BrandonK likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Vandemere has a good ramp for Kayaks and you are very close to good fishing areas. I see a lot of Kayaks fishing in Vandemere Creek. If you could stop by Neuse River Bait and Tackle in Grantsboro they can usually point you in the right direction as well.
    BrandonK likes this.

Appreciate the tips, everyone. Trying to clear work off my desk so I can get a good part of a day to head down.

I知 getting an idea of what creeks to take a look at, but hoping to clarify one thing if y誕ll don稚 mind indulging me: my understanding is that trout will hangout around the inlets to creeks and move further back into the creek as the water gets colder. How far back should I be looking this time of year? I知 in a kayak and hoping not to spend my whole day paddling if I can help it, haha

Trout will go pretty far up Pungo creek. We have caught them past the islands. There are plenty of places not as far up the creek that will hold them. In Pungo creek Ive always liked to start around Graveyard Point
    BrandonK, and Chris52 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonK View Post
    I’m getting an idea of what creeks to take a look at, but hoping to clarify one thing if y’all don’t mind indulging me: my understanding is that trout will hangout around the inlets to creeks and move further back into the creek as the water gets colder. How far back should I be looking this time of year? I’m in a kayak and hoping not to spend my whole day paddling if I can help it, haha

Follow this you tuber, he fishes a different state, his videos are spot on .......ICM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0zrljeKBc&t=519s
    BrandonK likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    Follow this you tuber, he fishes a different state, his videos are spot on .......ICM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W0zrljeKBc&t=519s
    Was just watching a couple of his vids yesterday! Haha. Good to know he痴 one to pay more attention to, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for mud flats with 2 to 4 feet of water, that catch good afternoon sun, and nearly to the back of creeks. The mud bottom will absorb some heat from the sunshine. If you have a depth finder with water temp capabilities, a few degrees will make a big difference in whether you do or don’t catch fish.

And then slow your retrieve! When I pitch MR 17s in winter I give them a slow 5 count between twitches. Strikes may be more of a ‘tick tick’ on your line, and good braid with a mono or fluro leader will help you feel them. This has been a great trout season—there should be a lot of big trout caught this winter.
    BrandonK likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements