Winter Mountain Trout Trolling 2020 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Mountain Trout Trolling 2020

I have to wonder if male Triploid Trout will try and spawn. They make sperm that is defective. Sterile men still love to spawn....

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm still doing a lot of reading. Triploid Salmon have been studied....and only a small percentage of Triploid males bother to return to the streams. Females don't bother at all. The study was done to assess the damage from "False Spawning"....where an infertile male would attempt to fertilize a Wild Female's eggs. The fear is that this could actually reduce the numbers of wild fish by causing the eggs to be wasted through False Spawning.

While information is still hard to come by....it appears that Triploid Females produce No Eggs....and do Not participate in the spawn. Males "may" develop gonads in some cases.....and "may" participate in the spawn....but, the majority do not. One study I read, mentioned that there is rarely, but, sometimes.... regression....and nature actually finds a way.

So....in summary, Triploids have little to no interest in spawning....except for a few pesky males. They co-exist with wild trout as far as we know, without affecting them. There was a study done with brown trout, where the effect was negligent. They appear to grow slower than Wild Trout (Diploids) in the beginning. Once Wild Trout mature and start spawning at 2-3 years, Triploids have the advantage of no spawning stress and grow faster. Spawning consumes about two months of a trout's life each year. So far, there is no definitive proof that Triploids grow larger....only the theory and some undocumented fishing reports.

In British Columbia and Washington State, they have created a Trophy Fishery by breeding Only Female Triploids. They claim the fish grow larger and live longer. This is a more expensive and labor intensive Triploid, but, the results seem to be paying off. Who knows? Maybe one of the Gems will be converted to an All Female Triploid Lake one day?

More to study....Good Fishing....D

From one article......
    "The sterile trout have lived twice as long and grown to nearly twice the size of normal hatchery trout.
    The fish, known as triploid females, do not suffer the rigors of developing reproductive organs. They do not attempt the futile effort to spawn in landlocked lakes."

There was a study done with brown trout, where the effect was negligible....not negligent......doh!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Artisanthe View Post
    There was a study done with brown trout, where the effect was negligible....not negligent......doh!
    Natural Browns can and do get huge. The world record was 42 pounds from Arkansas for many years. It's 43 pounds New Zealand now. A guy from my church who took my next door neighbor and I with him the the Little T, before Tellico Lake, hooked a Brown that looked 30-35 pounds to me. It was misfortune that Chilhowee Dam wasn't generating at the time. He could not turn the fish in the slow water. It swam to the other side of the river, his drag screaming, where there was a giant, probably Chestnut log. It then proceeded to whack it's head on the log till the Rapala plug flew out. The plug came back with teeth holes in it. When Chilhowee was generating hard, you had a better chance of landing the bigger fish. The Browns had to fight the current as well as you.

Browns do very well without stripping them of their genitals. I think that the Triploid treatment works best for Rainbows but I have not read the latest stuff.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12