Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Ponds

Votes: 26 8.8%
  • Fish market :)

Votes: 10 3.4%

Where do you fish most?

13K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  spidey 
#1 ·
Contribute to our poll...and start one yourself! ;)

#2 ·
I have a retreat in the North Creek area just off the Pamlico River, so most of my fishing is done in that vicinity (North Creek, Pamlico River mouth, Pungo River, and the nearby portion of the Pamlico Sound. It's a relatively lightly fished area, although there are the usual frustrations (for me, at least) with netting!! :( I've caught some very nice flounder in that vicinity of the river, and the drum fishing last summer was superb! :)

#3 ·
I fish the most in NC out of Masonboro Inlet, Wrightsville Bch for offshore
Inshore/Lakes, I fish Jordan Lake.

Been known to fish around Topsail, Morehead, Cape Lookout, Shearon Harris lake.

My most favorite spots to fish other than Wrightsville is in Apalachacola in Florida and also Venice Florida. Down there we fish out from Apalachacola Bay and run out to the ledge pretty much straight out from the bay inlet. We have an annual get together of friends and we always stay at Bay City Lodge there in in Apalach... great fishin, fun trip, and awsome accomodations.
Venice area we fish out of Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grand, Venice Inlet, Blackburn point and Casey Key inland water way flats for snook, reds, goliath group-ah's and tarpon. Offshore Venice for kings, grouper, amberjack and bonita, and mahi.

My top pick though is Wrightsville over Southport, Morehead, Topsail, Carolina Beach. I just love that area, great inlet, 2 hour drive towin from the house, and some great bottom and reefs in that area, not to mention a pretty short run out the inlet.

#4 ·
For me it's offshore/nearshore from Rich's or New Topsail Inlet. From my house it's a 1 minute drive to the boat ramp and a 5 min boat ride to Rich's inlet (or less than 10 minutes to New Topsail Inlet).

For Fresh water, I like the trout fishing up around Cherokee and The Great Smokeys.

#7 ·
I fish the nearby lakes in my area frequently, Belews, Jordan, Buggs, Norman, High Rock, and Badin, however, my most favorite place to fish is anything inshore. Morehead City, Beaufort, Bogue Inlet, I love the openess and variety of species the salt provides.

I am going on my first river fishing expedition for striper May 8th at Weldon. Looking forward to that :D . I hope the drought hasn't caused to many problems with water depth.

#9 ·
Since I've moved to Washington last year I've been fishing the Tar/Pamlico river but I've had to change tactics quite a bit from the way I fished Kerr and Falls lakes so it hasnt been productive. I look forward to venturing farther down toward Pamlico sound as I learn my way around down here. I've been noticing all of the ramps in New Bern as well and looks like there would be some good fishing around all of those bridges..

#11 ·
I will have to be honest! Most of my fish that I brought home last year came from Wal-mart. I did spend a lot of time on the water though. Got a lot of good practice casting and reeling the lure back. I hope this year will be more productive in the aspect of catching fish, not buying fish.

#12 ·
Hey Fritz, did you ever try king mackeral fishing off Folly Pier by any chance? I never have found anybody that knows anything about the situation there except not many are king fishing there. I am wanting to give it a try this year if there is a good possibility of catching one.

#17 ·
Shem if all else fails you can make the 1.5 hr haul down this way. We kept some water this year because of the backflow from the sound. Brackish holds bass, cats,stripers,flounder,specks all in the same general areas..

Reactions: Tom Kat
#18 ·
hey guys
still looking for volunteers for our teach a kid to fish clinics at high point city lake on april 12 and may 10.anyone who would like to participate in a truly rewarding experience,e mail me at jermar78@northstate.net.all help would be appreciated,plus you'll get a t shirt and all the pizza youcan stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerry
ps smallmouth rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#21 ·
I placed the X in river, mainly because its right across the road from the house. The North East Cape Fear river to be exact. I fish for catfish, bowfin and in the early spring when the waters settle down I fish for redbelly bream. :D

Beetle spins, lightweight rods and redbellies go hand in hand on the NE. While casting you never know what you might catch, bream, bass, catfish, bowfin, crappie, yellow perch or shad or striper. Any freshwater type fish might hit at any cast.

Have pulled a few bass out on beetle spins in the 8 pound range, heck of a fight.

I also do right much up the New River around Jacksonville. Being retired military I can use the boat ramps on base. That makes it easy for me to put in and only do minimual riding to get to the fishing hole that I want to try that day. Trout, flounder and reds are abundant here also.

Salwater I usually go to Topsail and Queens Creek for a varitety of fish, reds, flounder, trout, pompano or what ever is hottest at the moment. I believe in giving them all a chance in being put in some hot grease or the grill.:cool:

Even gonna give the outside Macks a chance this year.

tight lines <*-)))))>{

#22 · (Edited)
Born in New Bern, as a boy, I walked the rivershore at night "gigging" flounder. During the summer or when I skipped school, I would catch crabs from a nearby pier using the chicken neck method. The family had a summer home in Atlantic, NC. Dad & I would pull a small shrimp trawl and set nets for spots. Drifting for flounder in Drum Inlet was always a good bite. As long as the "Greenheads" weren't biting, clamming was always a good way to pass the time on a summer afternoon. Six years ago, I moved to Wilmington and have fished the local waters here. There is a lot or water between Virginia and South Carolina. At 52, I haven't even begun to explore it.

B.G.

#23 ·
Great White - except for the location and the shrimp trawl, sounds like we grew up the same way and about the same time. I grew up in Jacksonville, gigging on the New River and fishing/clamming/crabbing at Salter Path or West Onslow Beach (Now known as North Topsail Beach). I live and fish out of Hampstead now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.