NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New River Smallmouth Trip Planning Thread

42K views 545 replies 28 participants last post by  RaymondWells 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that our Red X Anglers saltwater get together is over (and was a smashing success) it's time to think cool mountain waters. How great is it that we live in a state to readily enjoy such a variety of fishing?

I wish to start this thread for logistical planning purposes for the South Fork New River Smallmouth Fishing trip on August 28, 29, 30. That is, who is bringing tents (someone with a large one can allow other attendees to share it and cut down on the number of sites we need), who is bringing needed supplies plus directions, put in/take out locations and weblinks to get you fired up for what promises to be a great trip.

Here is my list of attendees:

Yakattack Fly flinger
Rouse D (and Mrs. Rouse D in the Rollin' Sheraton)
Ghost
h2ohhh
Big Dave (buddy of h2ohhh)
JPrime
Froggy Waters
Ms. Froggy
Finstalker
Ruger
RaymondWells
Yak'n
Luckyone
EversoDull coming by to visit Friday.

Bold denotes tent campers.

Of that list I believe everyone is in a yak except for David and myself and Outback, who may bring his pontoon and run the main river.

The following website has directions and rules for park use. We will be camping at the 221 Access. I will be up there Friday early afternoon to claim some good sites before the weekend rush. I'm thinking we can get by with 3 sites. Be sure and review all the rules and directions on the website.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to New River State Park

Here is the starting list of items we need to be sure we have. Add items I might be forgetting.

Camp stove: For a.m. coffee and breakfast prep. At least 2 of these would be great.
Frying pans: A couple of large cast iron skillets and a pot for side dishes.
Fire wood: The woods around the campground are pretty picked over and it definately pays to bring some pre cut and split. 20 pieces per site should do for evening fires. There are firepits with grates for cooking on each site. Firestarter makes life easy if conditions are damp.
Large coolers: A large cooler at each campsite can hold everyone's beverages, plus our 'community breakfast and dinner' supplies. Each participant must bring his or her own beverages for the trip. Don't forget a small cooler for floating as each participant also will be responsible for his or her shore lunch for Sat. and Sun. I usually just bring a couple of cans of tuna and some bread slices for example and some bottle water and a soda or two in my canoe. I believe the general store located just a mile or so away has ice.
Cooking supplies: Spatula's, tongs or forks. Sponges with abrasive sides for cleaning pots and pans, paper towel rolls, plastic spoons and forks for any side dishes and breakfast, salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard. Styrofoam cups for coffee. Sweetener and creamer too for those woosies who don't drink it black.:D
Food: Suggest Bacon, Eggs, Sausage, home fries for breakfasts (one person should probably bring all this and we can divvy up the cost), maybe some O.J. too. Suggest hotdogs, hamburgers, beans for dinner (again, one person should bring this and the rolls/buns). Each person brings his/her own shore lunch supplies.
Tents: RouseD is bringing his rolling motel and I may be staying with my buddy David who has a camper about 5 minutes away. Finstalker is not camping so that leaves 11 tent campers. The good sites will hold 4 tents each on level ground but some of you may wish to team up. Remember your sleeping bags, cots, air mattresses, flashlights or lanterns, etc.
General Supplies: Sunscreen, Bug repellant, dry clothes (you will get wet) and shoes, socks etc. Soap, shampoo, towels etc. for the bath-house (the campground has a nice facility for hot showers and toilets). Sponge or towel for canoe/yak. Sunglasses.

And of course your fishing supplies. Light and ultra light tackle is recommended. Okay, what have I forgotten?

Here's another good website, courtesy of Rouse D. Let the planning begin!!!

Home ?(NC New River State Park)?

See less See more
#53 ·
221 Access Campsite is the right place. Way to go Froggy!!!

The early birds on Friday can scope out the sites and make sure we've got good ones. We can change them as long as we let the Ranger know and I'm betting there will be an extra site available if we need it without reserving.

#54 ·
h2o. I'll have my "rollin motel", but since i will be getting there on tuesday, I'll scope the group campsites out and see if they look OK. I'll try to keep you guys out of the bugs. The ranger I talked with, at the campground was very nice about letting me know about the campsites before i selected one. Not sure if all of them will help like that. I am thinking you'll want open campsites to keep you out of the bugs.

#55 ·
I think I will have to take off work early on that friday and try to get there around 3-4pm. I have a camping/hiking pack, as well as supplies for myself as far as camping goes. Did we decide on everyone bringing their own food?

As far as fishing, I will bring my light power fast action spinning rod, and my 5/6wt fly rod and just see what does better!

#58 ·
I have bad news and good news ....I don't think I can go on this trip, Sorry!!! The good news is Jared just called and said there is a real good chance they will start home on the 24th of August!!! Should be home on or before the 30th! I hope you guys will forgive me for not making it on the trip, other than sickness this is the only other reason that would hold me back . MY SON IS COMING HOME!!!!! We will try to make another trip when he is settled in. Thank you everyone who helped out ,I do appreciate all the help and efforts going into something like this.....Allen

#59 ·
You will be most sorely missed but the news of his arrival is exciting indeed. There will be other trips so no biggie there! My nephew (one of only two I have) is going to Afghanistan in August. Front line stuff as he's an interrogation expert so they go into houses and he decides whose coming back for interrogation. His name's Matthew Logan and here's his picture with his brother. Keep him in your prayers for me fellows.

Face Smile Head Camouflage Military camouflage

#71 ·
You will be most sorely missed but the news of his arrival is exciting indeed. There will be other trips so no biggie there! My nephew (one of only two I have) is going to Afghanistan in August. Front line stuff as he's an interrogation expert so they go into houses and he decides whose coming back for interrogation. His name's Matthew Logan and here's his picture with his brother. Keep him in your prayers for me fellows.

View attachment 6262
god bless him and thank them for us they are in our prayers for sure ;) i dont want him interigateing me on my red drum secrets ;)

#73 ·
Oh yeah, get 'em fired up Ruger. Let's have the report!! Here's a little something that ought to get them fired up but please understand gentlemen, the fish you are about to see are not a standard fish by any stretch, but they are smallmouth from the New River and they were caught in the summer. They are out there, swimming among a million 12 inchers.

#74 ·
Hey Guy's
I went to the New River yesterday, It was dirty water and very swift, which made it very hard to fish. You had a hard time telling if you were in a 2 ft hole or a 12 ft hole. I only caught 12 to 15 fish did catch this one on my profile. It was a nice fish. I put in at the New River Campground. I paid them to take my truck down river and park it. I got to what I thougt was the six mile mark and no truck. I had never fished this section before so I thought it must be on down, Well it wasn't I had a hard time getting a cell phone call to go through and the guy tried to play it off but he just forgot to take my truck down. So after waiting for some time and walking to find out where I was my truck did show up. Another life lesson, never trust anyone with your truck when on the river. All in all it was a great day and I got to see a new part of the river.

#75 ·
Ruger,

You fished from the 221 Access and floated down below the high water bridge? If so, I'm betting you caught most of your fish starting about a mile past the bridge starting in that first big right hand bend. One reason the water is still so muddy is not the rain of a week ago (though that's contributing). My friend lives down past where you took out and says all the farmers are working their fields. I'm thinking about hitting it in mid July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.